Shooting in RAW.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TelekinesisKeith, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TelekinesisKeith

TelekinesisKeith TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    How many of you always shoot in RAW?? Is it smart to keep it in RAW mode, or should I still shoot JPEG?

2. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I only shoot in RAW. If you plan on processing your photos heavily like I do, then I would suggest you shoot in RAW. If all you're going to do is convert it to jpg and want to perform minimal processing, you should shoot in jpg. If you want to have it all, shoot in RAW+jpg.:lol::lmao:

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can very easily turn a RAW file into a JPEG....but you can't turn a JPEG into a RAW file.

I almost always shoot in RAW.

4. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Always raw.

5. dakkon76

dakkon76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Same, I'm still wet behind the ears but always shoot in RAW. I can store over 450 RAW images on my 8gb card, so there's really no excuse not to...

Even though I'm new, I might get lucky and have some great shot that down the road when I'm better at photoshop, I'll have wished I'd shot in RAW. I'm all about up-front planning ;)

6. hankejp

hankejp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right now I shoot JPEG, because I don't have the software to PP Raw files. I only have Photoshop 7.

7. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Only 450
    I get 725 on a 4gb CF i wonder why that is

8. nikonguy

nikonguy TPF Noob!

i've shot in raw from day 1.. like mike said "you can change a raw into a jpg, but you cant change a jpg into a raw"

9. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    shooting raw is really not worth the space to me i am more than happy with how my jpeg fine come out. i also dont find it worth the time to convert them to jpeg.

10. TelekinesisKeith

TelekinesisKeith TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have photoshop CS3 and it doesn't allow me to open my Nikon's RAW files..Does anyone know how I can open them or even a different program I could use?

11. LarryD

LarryD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot in RAW, and I'll tell you why........ It's not because I do a bunch of Post Processing, because I don't.

JPEG is what is called a "lossy" format. This means that the compressed JPEG format throws out data in order to "compress" the file....In other words, each time that you do any processing on a JPEG file, or just from the beginning, it has tossed some of the data that makes up the photo you just took.

RAW does not do that.........it records all the data available and when you download that data, it is as much as was there to begin with....Your RAW file becomes what in film we had as a negative........forever..

You can do some sharpening and color balancing if you want...and then convert and store your photo......... I usually store in a TIFF file because most software will open a TIFF and it too is a complete file, just processed the way you want it to look.. I only convert to JPEG from the TIFF is I need that format..

But, really, for general snap-shots, there is nothing wrong with JPEG......I've got a bunch of them from my early years with digital, and many others that I just don't want to use the storage space for.. Storage used to cost a lot more than it does today..

12. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if ur using mac then you can get RAW Photo Processor which is a free program