Shooting in the rain

Opher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello just stumbled over Jaszek's post and it got me thinking. Is it safe (for your camera/[FONT=&quot]equipment[/FONT] to shoot in the rain?

I take photos in pouring rain. A damp towel wouldn't be a problem, just like icassell said.
:cokespit:

What do you do when it is raining?

Well, I will shoot outdoors if it's drizzling, but I try to avoid pouring rain (I'm using a 30D). I carry a plastic bag with me in my camera bag in case I get caught in a downpour.

In my contract it is specified that I don't shoot in the rain. Still, I bring an umbrella and on occasion, my assistant is holding it over us (him, me and the camera).

I just make sure I hide somewhere if i REALLY have to change a lens, and maybe I exaggerated a little lol. I've shot in rain many times, but not the ones where you can barely see a meter from your eyes.

I've shot in THAT kind of downpour that Jaszek has described. NOT fun. Actually, miserable, but I try not to think about it at the time. It's not a good idea to shoot in those conditions without at least a plastic grocery bag over your camera.

id never got out in the rain with my camera. i respect it and love way to much to chance it. its only a d90 but im not rich and id rather not chance me having to get it fixed or ruining it permantly. call me over protectant but hey, i will have my camera for longer than you :p

id never got out in the rain with my camera. i respect it and love way to much to chance it. its only a d90 but im not rich and id rather not chance me having to get it fixed or ruining it permantly. call me over protectant but hey, i will have my camera for longer than you :p

My kind of thinking.:geek:

I do that in hopes it breaks so I have a reason to get a 5D mkII lol

If it is really raining, I'll grab my Nikonos V and grab a roll of film or two.

-Andy

I do that in hopes it breaks so I have a reason to get a 5D mkII lol

why not buy one cause you want one and then you can have 2 cool cameras? or one for shooting in the rain :lmao:
They're called parents. They get in your way when you're still 17 lol. I guess the ebst time of your life is between you moving out from your parents and before getting married lol.

I have an AquaTech SPort SHield 600 rain cover for use under seriously rainy conditions.

Sport Shield 600 Rain Cover, Blue - AquaTech : Camera Bags & Cases

I once shot a 6-hour city-wide, 12 team track meet in a light but persistent drizzle using a Nikon D1h and a 300 f/2.8 AFS-Mk II lens. I carried a small hand towel with me and was constantly wiping away raindrops from the camera's top deck and back side. After 5.5 hours or so, the camera's control buttons on the back got all "squirrelly"--I could not review shots, I could not change ISO settings, nothing. IT SHOT EVERY PHOTO I TOOK, but I could not make any changes using the rear LCD or review my shot images without the camera cycling thru image after image and acting very funky.

After a week's drying out time, I sold the camera. The next season, I ought the AquaTech because I had replaced the D1h with a much more costly D2x.

This is one reason why pro level cameras cost so much...because they are built to be able to handle a pretty good rainfall and keep working.

If you don't have a pro body, some care should be taken but life is too short to hide everytime it rains a little.

Example one: I was in Costa Rica and went on a zip-line tour of the rain forest canopy. It wasn't raining when we started out, but when we got up there, it was a torrential downpour. I didn't have a camera bag (wasn't allowed with the harness) and I couldn't protect the camera while zipping from tree to tree. I did have a plastic shower cap that I snagged from the hotel, but my camera still got soaked. It was so wet that the LCD screen fogged up from the inside. Maybe I was lucky but the camera never stopped working and still works great, almost 4 years later. It wasn't a pro body, just a mid level 20D.

Example 2: A few weeks ago I co-shot a two day wedding that was on a farm. It rained the entire time were were there. They moved all the activities into a tent/building but that wasn't good enough for the shots that we wanted to get. Eventually we told them to suck it up, we are shooting outside...rain or not. We all got a little wet, but I think we got some outstanding shots.

Just wondering....could you use an underwater camera for shooting in heavy rain?....apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am totally ignorant of the subject...

J.

Most reactions

Back