Shooting in the rain?

Illah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.grooveeffect.com
So SF's rainy season approaches. Last year I saw many opps for good pics, but I never got around to it and my digicam probably would have exploded or something if it got wet :)

So now I have 'real' gear, and would like to get some nice shots. What considerations do I have to take? Can a camera handle some water, or would I need a plastic bag? I'm willing to take *some* risk with my gear as I'm not going to setup a tent every time I want to take a few shots, but I plan to be using this gear for years (I'm not rich nor a pro) so I don't want to destroy it.

What I have:

Nikon D50
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6 'G'

My other things like the tripod I know can handle some moisture - my main concerns are with the camera and lenses.

--Illah

Your camera and lenses are not weather sealed...so while a little rain on the outside won't hurt...it's not something I'd want to risk on a regular basis.

There are special camera rain covers avaliable (Google it)...or you could use an umbrella etc.

I've used zip lock bags, sometimes with holes cut out. I always take the shower cap from hotels...those can work well.

I was in Costa Rica last year and I got caught in an torrential downpour...with my camera (Canon 20D)...but I had left my camera bag behind. I covered it with zip lock bags and a shower cap...but it still got fairly soaked. The LCD screen fogged up, on the inside, but after some dry out time...the camera is fine.

I may have just got lucky...but it seems the camera is fairly resiliant...so maybe yours is too...but still, take every precaution to keep it dry.

Yes, covers like that should work pretty well.

Also would the front 1/2" or so of the lens be OK for a little moisture?
Well, you don't really want any drops on the front of the lens...and the design of the particular lens...would determine just how water resistant the front 1/2" is. If I were planning to shoot in the rain...I'd be sure to use a lens hood...that way the front of the lens has....well, a hood on it.

as i have just moved to Berkeley, this topic is also of interest to me. When i have shot in the rain before, i have done it under an unbrela and not have problems...but it was only misting/ lightly raining so i dont know about heavy rain.

I also have found that just shooting under an umbrella is the simplest solution. It's nice if you can have an assistant hold it for you, but I've managed to hold it and shoot at the same time.

Most reactions

Back