Shooting in Winter...what to do when it gets *really* cold?

-Extreme noob alert-

please correct me if im wrong.

1)i can walk straight outside with my camera in my hand(no bag)
2)Shoot some photos
3)Put camera into airtight ziplock bag, outside(do i need to take battery out?)
4)Bring it inside, let it warm up(how long approx.?)
5)Then take it out of the ziplock and put it into the camera case.

Thanks for the help.

...oh how i hate winter haha

no.... you have to keep the airtight ziplock back on your camera while you shoot... then when you get home.. you have to put your memory card and battery in tin foil while you post process... shiny side in...

2)Shoot some photos

lol what i was meaning by that, is how i can just walk outside without my camera in an airtight bag. I wasnt sure if that would be possible, because i was thinking some how it would affect warm air inside the camera from cooling and condensing creating water droplets. Thats why i came here to ask...

lol what i was meaning by that, is how i can just walk outside without my camera in an airtight bag. I wasnt sure if that would be possible, because i was thinking some how it would affect warm air inside the camera from cooling and condensing creating water droplets. Thats why i came here to ask...

lol.. slow acclimatization is the best way both hot to cold and cold to hot...

I knew there was a reason I moved from Philly to Phoenix ...

2)Shoot some photos
3)Put camera into airtight ziplock bag, outside(do i need to take battery out?)
4)Bring it inside, let it warm up(how long approx.?)
5)Then take it out of the ziplock and put it into the camera case.
Correct, except you don't need to leave it out of the camera bag when it's in the ziplock bag. In or out, it doesn't matter, although it will reach room temperature more quickly if it's outside the camera bag (but still in the ziplock to prevent condensation).

To answer the question in #4: until it gets close enough to room temperature that it won't form condensation when you take it out the bag. This can be a few hours to half a day depending on how cold it is.

Anyway, today was the coldest day so far this season, a steady -10C. There are three things I've noticed so far:

1) Battery life sucks. Want to use the built-in flash? You'll get 2, maybe 3 shots. No big deal, I have a spare kept warm inside jacket pocket, though it's a bit of a pain to keep swapping them.

2) The LCD becomes slow. Scrolling through images cross fades, not cuts. Is this bad for the LCD?

3) The zoom ring on the kit lens becomes stiff and sticky.

It's supposed to be -19C tomorrow.

slow acclimatization is the best way both hot to cold and cold to hot...
Warm to cold isn't going to cause condensation. Take a drink can that's been sitting on a dry shelf at room temperature and put it in the freezer. You see any water droplets forming? Now take it to bring it back to room temperature out and it sweats.

Theoretically, if you had your camera sealed in a total vacuum (thus having no air to contain moisture) or brought it in from the cold to a 0% humidity environment; then used a hot blow dryer to bring it up to room temperature in a matter of seconds or minutes, condensation would not form.

However, the different rates at which the plastics, metals and other various materials expand and contract from hot and cold would wreak havoc on the sensitive and highly-strung parts ;)

I just can't honestly see going out in -30C windy weather to take pictures. Of what? White?? hahahaha!
You should see what a snow flurry looks like with a sunny sky causing reflections off of every individual flake. Absolutely incredible.

Last edited:
Warm to cold isn't going to cause condensation. .

well than why do my sun glasses immediately fog up when going from warm inside to cold outside.... but if I leave my sunglasses in a cold car they don't fog up when i put them on?

fun topic.

I'm about to let somebody borrow an SLR (film or digital, haven't decided yet) to take to Alaska for a month (December). What advice (rules!) would you give them?

You break it, you just bought it? :lol:

Normally, I would not pass anyone my cameras, but if you wish to do this, take a few precautions like insurance. Ask the person borrowing it to get some extra insurance as well.

Can I presume that the person you are lending it to has some idea on how to use it and what safety precautions to take?

well than why do my sun glasses immediately fog up when going from warm inside to cold outside....
Because your body heat is causing condensation when your glasses become cold.

but if I leave my sunglasses in a cold car they don't fog up when i put them on?
You must have magic sunglasses.

You must have magic sunglasses.

Damn! and i always thought it was me the ladies were drawn too...

I am currently taking bids on one pair of magic glasses or will swap magic glasses for D3 and some cash.

Good info and good humour. Cant add much, but to suggest putting a silca gel pack in your camera bag.

Most reactions

Back