Shooting into the sun

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I knew I'd get flares shooting into the sun. Tastes vary, but they don't bother me. The area below the sun, though, has washed out colors and little contrast. I boosted the local contrast there. It helped some but not enough. Is this unavoidable, or is there something about taking or processing such shots that I don't know? Any help would be appreciated.

SunV.jpg

What do you mean by the area below the sun? The sun itself is going to be blown out totally -- practically by definition. The shaded area of the bank and stream is dim, probably because your camera exposed for the brighter parts. A solution to that is probably to use a graduated ND filter, or else fake the same effect using layers and masks (doable, but harder in my opinion).

That said, shooting in to the sun can be a great effect. But if you're going to, I'd rather see some serious flares and sunstars (Example: Old Steam) -- not something halfway which looks like it could have been unintentional. That's my best suggestion -- and with modern lenses, it's pretty hard to get that effect.

Thanks for the help, dcclark.

i like this shot
always been a fan of shooting into the sun actually haha
but it looks crooked?

Thanks, woojiebear. Now that you mention it, it may be a little slanted. I'll check.

Stop down your lens to f22. It will help with keeping the blown out sun smalller and will give you a nicer sunstar. Digital doesn't handle shooting into the sun nearly as well as film does, but stopping down should definitely help.

Foxpaw,

Am I incorrect in feeling sure that I'm seeing HDR at work here? Nobody has said anything, but my brain instantly said it to me.

Marc

I like the way that the sun comes through the valley and shines along the hillside and tees.....

I don't like the blown out sunshine seeping through the trees on the right...

Shooting into the sun is always risky and you should position yourself so that there is something directly in front of the main orb, or change your perspective (get down lower?) then bracket under a couple of stops

It's a very nice shot, dude! Well I have been shooting into the sun quite a lot lately and I've also noticed that some parts of the images has "washed out" colors so sometimes I would try to underexpose a lil bit which kinda, sorta helps but I doubt it would look good in your picture though. Maybe you should have chosen a different composition with the sun a lil bit more to the right but it's still a very beautiful shot :)

just crop the photo and cut out the sun as it is distracting

Thanks to all of you for the comments and the help. It was an appealing scene but the guy behind the camera didn't quite do his job, and the comments have suggested things to do differently next time.

Marc, it's an HDR. The dynamic range was such that I didn't see any real alternative, and I don't have the qualms about HDRs that some do.

Thanks to all of you for the comments and the help. It was an appealing scene but the guy behind the camera didn't quite do his job, and the comments have suggested things to do differently next time.

Marc, it's an HDR. The dynamic range was such that I didn't see any real alternative, and I don't have the qualms about HDRs that some do.

My question was honestly just that - a question because of the telltale signs left behind by PhotoMatix tone mapping. I agree that HDR techniques are a good tool and I also have no qualms in using that tool!

I would not say that the guy behind the camera didn't quite do his job, but rather the advice you were given just may give you a reason to go out and shoot one like it again - and perhaps again and again....... ;)

Marc

Most reactions

Back