Shooting into the sun

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out on the State Fair grounds with an Olympus E-620, and had on a standard UV Hoya filter. I could have taken it off I guess; it is in an introductory kit of lenses but not multi-coated. I was quite happy with all of my shots and have no complaints, but I was wondering if this usually occurs when you shoot directly into the setting sun?

Note in one the sun is a bit blurry; the other it looks good save for the ring around it, the solar flares. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• $P9020201.JPG
    $P9020201.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 108
  • $Resized Midway.jpg
    $Resized Midway.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 88
  • $Resized Midway 2.jpg
    $Resized Midway 2.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 94
well, its never really easy to shoot into the sun, but, a lens hood will help SOME.. but if your shooting directly into the sun, like you are in these shots, you should meter for the sun, and then use a fill flash to light your subjects.. otherwise, its not going to look that great

but if your shooting directly into the sun, like you are in these shots, you should meter for the sun, and then use a fill flash to light your subjects..
DITTO
Unless, you want a silhouette shot then don't use flash.

Shooting into the sun requires a few steps for best results. First, ditch any filters--their flat surfaces can cause problems. Lens fronts are rounded,and that helps when shooting toward the sun, Make sure the lens front and rear elements are both spotlessly clean--even a slight film or haze can cause problems.

Also, when you shoot toward the sun, it helps a LOT to use a low-contrast tone curve,and shoot in RAW capture mode. You can use fill-flash, but that changes the mood quite a bit.

I think these could have the shadows "lifted" in post a bit more. There's nothing quite as fun as a State Fair. I like the way you've used the rides as background subjects.

Using a lens hood in your particular shots would not help at all, neither would it have hindered. However, I always have the hood attached.

#1 - Very good silhouette

#2 - meh. I'm guessing a wide open aperture to bring in the ambient. Problem is the sun looks sick...... not sick as in good.

#3 - could use a dose of fill flash.

Keep at it. Just my 2¢ anyway.

Using a lens hood in your particular shots would not help at all, neither would it have hindered. However, I always have the hood attached.

#1 - Very good silhouette

#2 - meh. I'm guessing a wide open aperture to bring in the ambient. Problem is the sun looks sick...... not sick as in good.

#3 - could use a dose of fill flash.

Keep at it. Just my 2¢ anyway.

Thanks. Yeah, I like 1 the best...bascially in sun shots, I don't want people illuminated; I like silhouettes. The Olympus flas FL-36 is en route, so not having used much of a flash ever other than the standard ones on board I'll have to see what happens.

Most reactions

Back