Shooting into the sun

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by padrepaul77, Sep 3, 2009.

1. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was out on the State Fair grounds with an Olympus E-620, and had on a standard UV Hoya filter. I could have taken it off I guess; it is in an introductory kit of lenses but not multi-coated. I was quite happy with all of my shots and have no complaints, but I was wondering if this usually occurs when you shoot directly into the setting sun?

Note in one the sun is a bit blurry; the other it looks good save for the ring around it, the solar flares. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. thenikonguy

thenikonguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well, its never really easy to shoot into the sun, but, a lens hood will help SOME.. but if your shooting directly into the sun, like you are in these shots, you should meter for the sun, and then use a fill flash to light your subjects.. otherwise, its not going to look that great

3. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    DITTO
    Unless, you want a silhouette shot then don't use flash.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Shooting into the sun requires a few steps for best results. First, ditch any filters--their flat surfaces can cause problems. Lens fronts are rounded,and that helps when shooting toward the sun, Make sure the lens front and rear elements are both spotlessly clean--even a slight film or haze can cause problems.

Also, when you shoot toward the sun, it helps a LOT to use a low-contrast tone curve,and shoot in RAW capture mode. You can use fill-flash, but that changes the mood quite a bit.

I think these could have the shadows "lifted" in post a bit more. There's nothing quite as fun as a State Fair. I like the way you've used the rides as background subjects.

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Using a lens hood in your particular shots would not help at all, neither would it have hindered. However, I always have the hood attached.

#1 - Very good silhouette

#2 - meh. I'm guessing a wide open aperture to bring in the ambient. Problem is the sun looks sick...... not sick as in good.

#3 - could use a dose of fill flash.

Keep at it. Just my 2¢ anyway.

6. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. Yeah, I like 1 the best...bascially in sun shots, I don't want people illuminated; I like silhouettes. The Olympus flas FL-36 is en route, so not having used much of a flash ever other than the standard ones on board I'll have to see what happens.