Shooting kids in public

The topic was brought up in my photo class a while back. Professor said one of his male students was arrested for taking pictures of children at a school yard. No matter how hard the student tried to show proof and intention, the police took him and held him at the station. It was only after a phone call to the professor to vouch for him as a photography student was he released.

I'm sure the police really didn't have anything they could hold him on but with all the media hype and psycho parents (ok not all of them), the police pretty much can do whatever they want.

I like the idea of bringing a female companion along for the shoot. I'd even go as far as have them hold some equipment to appear as an assistant. I have also found that printing up photographer "calling cards" and having a few in pocket comes in handy. I had a box made real cheap from vistaprint.com. Ask the parent for permission, show identification (school photo pass), and hand them a card with a promise to send copies if they initiate the contact with you over mail or email.

The key is to convince the parents of your true intentions and give them all the information they require (including your contact info) to make a decision. If they say "no", politely say give thanks and walk away.

On the other hand, my cousin started shooting sport events of his daughters with the permission of the rest of the parents. He even puts together a slide show and burns CDs for them... FOR FREE!! Can you believe that one of the parents actually complained that there was not enough coverage of their kid? Sheesh......

There are statistics, and there are statistics. The free flow of information DOES mean we don't live in the same world we did 20 years ago. For example: http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/d...06&m=July&x=20060718182819wknosscire0.5503199

Yes, it's a government site, and everyone will take things with a grain of salt, but it is what it is. Basically what it comes down to, I guess, is it's more or less bad form to take pictures people don't want you to take. The permission first, professional bearing, and open comunication suggestions everyone's already given are pure gold. Stay out of the "I'm in a public place and I have a right to shoot" mindset and everyone will like us camera toters that much more. :)

Um, sorry for the wordy directionless ramble. :)

Johnboy2978 said:
Shooting kids in public

Wow. Talk about context.
This is why being a photographer and a competative shooter is so much fun. I see "shooting kids" and I don't immediatly think of using a camera to do so.
I always make it a point to say "Take photos of..."

Semantics, I know.

Johnboy2978 said:
...So my question is how do you all take candid pics of kids w/o looking like Chester the Molester or having parents call the police on you?

Okay, I didn't bother to read the rest of the thread, just your opening slavo, so I might be repeating what others have already said...but I don't care...I'm inconsiderate that way. :greenpbl:

When you arrive, lets say at a pee wee football or baseball game, mingle with the parents on the sidelines for a bit, and tell them why you are there and what you intentions are. Odds are they won't give two squirts about it. If you just pull out the camera and start taking pics, most folks will think you have a kid on one of the teams anyway, but some might raise an eyebrow. Just come right out and say who and what you are.

Have some model release forms and business cards on hand to make everything official

Most reactions

Back