shooting M mode --need advice

kalyankkumar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I have recently started shooting on M mode....I got to know the definition of aperture,shutter speed,ISO,lighting meter etc.......so in M mode i started experimenting with different settings...

When shooting landscapes i am using different AV setting from 6 to 22 ...ISO also..but before taking picture i look at light meter and adjust it to be in the middle to have correct exposure.........is this the correct approach to take pics........Please help me

should i always check the light meter before taking picture...but when i adjust the light meter it also changes other settings rt?

Yes, always check your light meter before you take photos, unless you get good at eyeballing exposure. You're changing settings to adjust the light meter. You have control over your Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO.

I suggest you look up the exposure triangle.

Shutter speed and aperture are always in an inverse relationship. If the light and ISO remain the same, as you change one, you always have to change the other (in an equal and opposite direction) to ensure the same amount of light is reaching the film or sensor. It is known as "equivalent exposures". On the older Hasselblad "C" lenses, when you set the shutter speed and aperture on the lens, they lock together, so when you move the knurled ring, although you are changing one, the other changes equally to compensate for it.

And in the manual mode, just like any automatic mode, by always centering your exposure meter you are always trusting your meter that it knows what it is doing, which about half the time, it does not. It is never a good idea to just blindly follow your meter's recommendations for every situation.

Thank you o hey tyler
......i have just started taking pictues on M mode.....I read some articles about exposure triangle and also attended a session on taking [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]photographs[/FONT] in manual mode......i have some idea about it......but when i started taking photos.......

After making changes to
Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO....if we cahnge light meter ...will it change the previous Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO to allow/reduce light....does it messup with the settings we made before

thanks STM
....if i understand it correctly.......if i am taking a picture of landscape....and if i put aperture @ 16 ......and check the light meter ...if its underexposed/over exposed... i need to change the shutterspeed or ISO......and NOT adjust light meter to correct the exposure

Did i get it correct......?

thanks STM
....if i understand it correctly.......if i am taking a picture of landscape....and if i put aperture @ 16 ......and check the light meter ...if its underexposed/over exposed... i need to change the shutterspeed or ISO......and NOT adjust light meter to correct the exposure

By changing the shutter speed or ISO, you are changing the light meter. If you want a large Depth of Field for a landscape shot, and you're shooting on f/16, you're changing your shutter speed and/or ISO to properly expose the scene.

Thanks Vtec44..Zone System is new to me ill find more info on it..

Thank you o hey tyler ......i have just started taking pictues on M mode.....I read some articles about exposure triangle and also attended a session on taking photographs in manual mode......i have some idea about it......but when i started taking photos.......

After making changes to
Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO....if we cahnge light meter ...will it change the previous Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO to allow/reduce light....does it messup with the settings we made before

You're not changing the light meter. You're adjusting aperture and shutter speed until the meter indicates correct exposure.

thanks STM

By changing the shutter speed or ISO, you are changing the light meter. If you want a large Depth of Field for a landscape shot, and you're shooting on f/16, you're changing your shutter speed and/or ISO to properly expose the scene.

If you want a large Depth of Field for a landscape shot, and you're shooting on f/16, you're changing your shutter speed and/or ISO to properly expose the scene................i was checking light meter after i set aperture to f/16...and adjust light meter to be in middle.....:grumpy:

Also, it's helpful if you know the Zone System when metering using natural light.

Two thumbs up there buddy, no truer words were ever spoken. I don't give a hoot how "sophisticated" any camera's metering system is, it still does not know what the photographer wants (assuming that he or she even does, which could be a pretty big if) out of that scene.

A thorough working knowledge of AA's Zone System and a 1 degree spot meter will outperform any camera meter 100% of the time.

Last edited:
thanks STM

Basically, but honestly I would not get in the habit of changing ISO as a way of adjusting exposure. Use shutter speed and aperture instead.

thanks STM

If you want a large Depth of Field for a landscape shot, and you're shooting on f/16, you're changing your shutter speed and/or ISO to properly expose the scene................i was checking light meter after i set aperture to f/16...and adjust light meter to be in middle.....:grumpy:

Think of it this way - if you are setting up a new stereo, setting the aperature and shutter speed is like getting the balance right between the two speakers.
Changing the ISO is like turning the volume up or down.
And when you start getting into fine tuning the Depth of Field for specific situations (i.e. landscape vs macro), that's like adjusting the bass vs the treble to get the specific sound you want.

Most reactions

Back