shooting mars and the moon

Longstick017

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all, just joined the forum and have a shoot im looking for input about.

First off, to baseline myself, i would rank my equipment at the beginner level, a cannon AE-1, 28mm wide angle, 50mm standard, and a 70-250 zoom lens, a sturdy tripod that i dont normally use, and the all important lucky camera bag ;) nothing too fancy.

Skill level is of course subjective, but id say that with the proper equipment its safe to say i could regularly do sucessful shows and maybe even make a living.

I typically shoot abandoned homes, farms, barns, machines, industrial equipment, landscape and a few portrait shots from time to time.

Im looking to try something signifigantly new, for those who havent heard on august 27th, mars will be the closest to earth it has been in recorded history. according to what i have read it will appear to be the same size as the moon in the night sky, and wont happen again for at least 250 years, (ive heard up to 60,000) point being its a once in a lifetime photo op. obviously this is going to be outside the realm of 400 speed black and white film that i would say composes 97% of what i work with.

My thoughts are going to be that obviously ill need to use a tripod, and faster film, along the lines of 800 or 1600. Im not really sure what lens would be the best. id like to get a few wide angle shots with the moon, mars, and stars and maybe if im lucky the milky way. but a few nice telephoto shots of mars would be very cool as well.

obviously location is key, and i have an area in mind where ill be far enough away from the city that you can see the milkey way with the naked eye, not exceptionally clearly, but you can see it.

Anyway, this is pretty long now, so in summary, im open to all suggestions regarding night photography of the stars, moon, and such. lens options, film type and speed. shutter settings, and personal tips and tricks.

Thanks in advance.

The August 27th event was back in 2003. For some reason each year it keeps comming up.

oh crap weasles..... that makes me sad in the pants, ah well, thanks for the heads up, go ahead and ignore me then ;)

according to what i have read it will appear to be the same size as the moon in the night sky

Not sure that mars ever got that close, even back in 2003... according to the BBC website, at its nearest, Mars appeared to be the same size as "a tennis ball viewed from 528 metres away"

Click on the link below if you want to read more :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3093693.stm

FYI:

Mars is 6670 km in diameter.
The Moon is
3476 km in diameter.

This would indicate that Mars has to be approximately twice the distance from Earth as the moon is to appear the same size... The moon is as far as 400,000 km from Earth whereas Mars is 38,000,000 km further from the Sun than Earth.

Proportionally, this indicates that Mars generally appears to be approximately 1/50 the size of the Moon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back