Shooting my first wedding - Help

Friend of mine asked me to shoot her wedding this past summer, in August.

While I had been on TPF for almost a year, I had seen many posts about people recommending NOT to shoot the wedding.

So I did the opposite.

What I did do was ensure that she knew my limitations, both of my equipment and lack of expertise at doing weddings (I had not done one before lol). She knew my pictures, knew what she was getting into.

Once she knew that, and was OK with it, I asked a friend to come along...someone whom I know can shoot good photos but is at the same level in knowledge and learning that I am. The bride was fine with this, so I now had my backup camera, which happen to come with a backup person :)

I practiced my flash shooting, did alot of reading, thought about poses, and scoped out the place ahead of time (even though its a 1.5 hour drive).

In other words, I prepared myself the best I could, made sure the bride had the right expectations and off I went.

Had a great time, bride was very happy with the pictures.

;)

While I had been on TPF for almost a year, I had seen many posts about people recommending NOT to shoot the wedding.

So I did the opposite.

What I did do was ensure that she knew my limitations, both of my equipment and lack of expertise at doing weddings (I had not done one before lol). She knew my pictures, knew what she was getting into.

Once she knew that, and was OK with it, I asked a friend to come along...someone whom I know can shoot good photos but is at the same level in knowledge and learning that I am. The bride was fine with this, so I now had my backup camera, which happen to come with a backup person :)

I practiced my flash shooting, did alot of reading, thought about poses, and scoped out the place ahead of time (even though its a 1.5 hour drive).

In other words, I prepared myself the best I could, made sure the bride had the right expectations and off I went.

;)

Best post and advice in this hijacked-thread. Everyone of us has shot a wedding for the first time, gotta start somewhere. Just be prepared

Some of you need to get out of the house and shoot more, you're too tense.

So I did the opposite.

;)

Exactly what I would recommend. I think you did the right thing. Just my opinion...

I understand why the community here is mainly against shooting weddings, as I believe it is tied in the the type of people that usually come to these forums, the drive by posters, those who buy a camera and think they are a photographer for no other reason than having $699 to get the kit at Best Buy.

But if people are serious about photographer, have a good understanding of light, lenses and techniques and MOST importantly, that the client's expectations are 100% correct, then there should be no reason not to shoot.

Yes, the bride and groom deserve the best they can get. But in the case of my friend, it was either me with my assistant/second shooter or giving eveyone disposable cameras. It wasn't me or a pro, it was me or nothing.

I am shooting a wedding for my sister in law for free. It is going to be a laidback wedding. I just wanted to toss this out here and ask everyone to give their #1 most important piece of advice they could give for a first time wedding shooter. Keep in mind that this will be slightly traditional but not overly formal. I will be shooting with a Canon T1i with a Sunpak PZ42X flash and I will probably mostly use my 50mm F/1.4 lense. I am going to order a grip and two extra batteries ( so I will have a total of 4 ) and will have 2 16gb cards with a few 2gb cards as a backup.

So I am wonder if we are gonna hear back from HIM OR HER? Are you going to do the wedding and If you do I would love to see a few shots!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting a wedding on a "crop-body Canon". I know 2 men (actually my father and a friend's father) that have shot 20-30 weddings a piece (my dad's well over 50) on Canon's 40D/50D line. They both have a good selection of glass, but the point of discussion here is that both of those cameras are cropped frame.

I'd definitely agree on as wide a zoom-lens as you can get, especially with a crop body (my father uses a 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron as his base lens with another quick lens and an 18-200 f/3.5 for his zoom), but the full-frame is not a requirement.

I think Derrel's point was that a 50mm on a crop body is a pretty tight lens and wouldn't be the best thing to have as your primary lens. 50/1.4 is a great wedding lens, even on a crop body, but very often you need something much wider.

YES, GeneralBenson,your reading comprehension is excellent--that was my point exactly...a straight 50 on 1.6x is too restrictive...I know that from experience....I also suggested the potential wedding first-timer purchase the exact,same lens that DerekSalem's father happens to use--a 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom. A nice 5-person group shot with a 50mm on 1.6x indoors....oh,what fun! (not) Table shots with a 50mm...a no-go. etc. I remember the first wedding I shot, in the pre-zoom era. I had a 35mm SLR and a 58mm f/2 lens and nothing more than a few rolls of Kodacolor print film. It was a civil service ceremony in a judge's chambers and it was over in about seven or eight minutes. I was 13 years old. Everybody has to do their first wedding, or never shoot one. I just think he should get a 17-50/2.8 and practice a bit with it. Stay calm, Check the LCD, keep the ISO at 400, and think about what he's shooting.

Or better yet, bring a variety of lenses so that you are prepared for the situation. Or even visit the site ahead of time to see how a 50mm could work out.

The 50mm 1.4 is a great wedding lens, depending on what and where you are shooting. The 1.4 is a good asset to have in lower light. But as mentionned, it should not be your only lens.

I have seen 17-55 + 70-200 + 50 + 100Macro as a popular combo
Replace the 17-55 with a 16-35 + 24-70.

This normally being done while using 2 cameras for ease of access to the lenses

My biggest thing when shooting weddings is making sure I don't loose the files! I shoot 2 / 4 gig cards and refuse to go bigger. I have a total of 40 gig cards and if I ever get an error on a card, I throw it out and replace it.

With your bigger cards, I'd suggest having a laptop with you and to back them up often. That way you know your not loosing half the wedding!

Winning a case and bringing a case are two different things. The cost of defending yourself can be quite expensive. There are plenty of lawyers who will gladly take silly cases in hopes of making something.

Seriously, is this "how to avoid getting sued forums.com. " ? My family is not going to sue me. She is well aware of my photography experience ( or lack there of ) and is looking not be so traditional and have a professional there. She also is looking to not spend a any money on photography. She offered to pay me but I declined. I am by no means a wedding photographer, but am doing this as a favor. So please lets not hi-jack my thread with legal jargon. I asked for tips on the actual photography and equipment. Thanks for everyone that actually had something useful to add.

This is going to be a very laid back wedding. No dance floor. No garter belt crap. Just a small ceremony and small reception ( close family only and a couple friends ).

I plan on scoping out the place ( its still undecided, but one possible location was where my own wedding was so I am quite familiar with it and I can walk there from my house. ) It is also undecided if it will be outdoors or indoors and which time of day.

I am planning on bringing my Wifes Rebel XS as a back up and also all of my lenses. Although I do agree that perhaps I should get a faster and wider lense. My 12-24 is an f/4 and I have the kit lense but its f/3.5.

I will mainly be taking pictures of the actual ceremony ( exchanging vows and rings ), pics of guests at their tables, and pictures of the bride and groom after the ceremony.

My main reason for posting on here is to try and absorb anything I can so that I can do the best I can. ( this isn't the ONLY avenue of information that I am pursuing on this topic, but think that it is a very abundent source of information. ) I think one of the biggest things I need to learn is my flash. I do not want to be fiddling with it the whole time trying to get the right settings.

You know your family better than anybody here. I can see their concern as if you have to come here and ask for tips people will worry you arent experienced enough as the wedding is a pretty damn important thing that hopefully you only do once. That being said, I let my mom take pictures at my wedding...which was on the beach at Sandals in the Bahamas so there were no real lighting issues to worry about...I let her use my camera. Even though we turned down the photographer from Sandals who charged a LOT for a photo session, they sent somebody anyways...and allowed us to go to their photo shack afterwards and pick out any pictures we wanted...at $20 a pop! Turned out my mom took the best pics....but we did buy a few from Sandals.

So if you feel confident you can do a good job....go for it...but dont be sour that people on here think its a bad idea.

I am not sour that people think its a bad idea, I am sour that 95% of my thread has been people bickering over the legalities of shooting a wedding. I appreciate all of the advice.

I am not sour that people think its a bad idea, I am sour that 95% of my thread has been people bickering over the legalities of shooting a wedding. I appreciate all of the advice.
You come here for advice from people who have been there, but you're upset because "95%" of it you don't want to hear. I'm sorry it's not a back pat fest where we're telling you "go get'em champ".

Your first problem is you're on a board asking for "advice". What advice are you looking for that common sense won't tell you? Do you need a second camera? Yes. It sounds like you have one lined up. You need a flash. It sounds like you have one. You might need fast primes, it looks like you have that covered. You will need a long telephoto. Check. You should know the venue. It sounds like you have that covered. Got a shot list? Let's hope so.

Now all you need is experience. We can't give you that.

Do your best and hope you make her happy.

/thread

Spoken like someone who came in here asking a question and didn't get the answers they wanted.

It's an internet forum, and you'll get the gammit of replies to your question, even if they don't directly address what you're asking.

InTempus, what you said was your advice, and you are right that I should expect that. What I meant is the bantering between others about whether or not to worry about the law. It just gets out of hand and the focus of the thread gets lost. There are other things that could be mentioned besides the obvious. I was looking for any random creative tips that people have found througout their experiences that might be useful. (ie. bring a step ladder to get a better perspective it is very handy ).

Most reactions

Back