Shooting my first wedding.. Tips

large-smiley-030.gif

Let me say there will be a pro photographer there too so i doubt ill get sued im not getting paid to do this. she has been a very good friend of mine for quite some time, she wants me to be there as well to take some shots for 2 reasons 1.to gain experience 2.so she has some shots online and doesn't have to wait for 4 weeks to get to see some of her photos from the pro as thats what thy said the wait was..... how will I ever learn unless I try. I appreciate all the helpful advice some of you have given me and as for the others I'm guessing people were hard on you when you were starting up but you didn't learn everything at once in one day and by not practicing.... I'm taking babysteps right now and learning as I go by reading and shooting with my camera. I hope to one day become the photography I want to be and be able to help someone else. **this is a different couple than the engagement session I did**

I will post pictures after the wedding, and of course C&C welcome as I am growing and might now get every shot perfect but at least I can say I did my best and learn from those mistakes.

I think you failed to mention that in your original posting. Go, have fun, do the best you can. At my first wedding we hired a very prominant local .... my favorite shot was one he missed, but my brother had captured on his disposable camera, not kidding...

Don't just copy the shot the pro is taking, look for funny interaction between the guests, kids playing and dancing the sort of stuff the pro might miss

Average cost of a wedding photographer in Canada? $2,500..... Lawsuit for doing a ****ty job? $10,000 ++.... Forgetting to mention you were going to be a second and are a friend of the bride.... priceless :thumbup: :)

Glad to hear it! Honestly then... bring a lot of memory and take a lot of pictures. As was said: take different pictures than the pro! There is no point of you just take all the same pictures! At the same time: take SOME of the same pictures and see if (S)he will let you compare the shot with them. That way you can see what you did differently and what you could have improved! They will be really really busy; but talk with them every opportunity you get! You never know what they will be able to teach you unless you ask!

2nd shooting is fun. Just make sure what you shoot doesnt look like the person is posing for someone else. That is the on that always bug me.

Let me say there will be a pro photographer there too...
Mentioning that little tid-bit in the OP would probably have kept this thread to a page-and-a-half! :lol: Go out there and have fun!

Yep, that little bit of information kind of changes everything...

Now that we have that out of the way, my advice would be along the same as the others'. Take the pics, don't get in the way of the main photographer, if you are going to shoot during the ceremony make sure you and the Pro know what is going on and where you are allowed to be. Many churches have strange rules about where the pro's can shoot from, and if the officiant confuses you with the pro, you can end up getting him in trouble.

Most of all, remember that you are there to celebrate the day with your friend. Try to have a little fun and don't let the photography take over the day.

Good luck and have fun.

oooooooh nothing has changed bahaha :) I've been gone for a couple of months and come back on and the first post I see is "I'm shooting my first wedding!"

nothing against you, but I haven't seen your work really to actually say anything about it. But a little advice from me which has probably been said but I didn't read the other pages. OWN OR RENT BACK UP EQUIPMENT! and have a 2nd shooter if possible

She said they have hired pros. So she has nothing to worry about.

Yeah, when RebeccaAPhotography said nothing has changed since she's been gone, what she meant was she still doesn't read the thread before commenting...

This thread is an example of what's wrong with internet forums. People are anonymous and faceless, so they feel empowered to communicate and interact with others in ways they absolutely would not do in person. I'm sure half of you wouldn't communicate like this in person, and the other half of you probably take horrible shots yourself and don't realize how bad your own photography stinks. The OP may be a novice and may need a lot more work, but there was no reason for so many of you to have responded in this manner. There is clearly rudeness here for the sake of rudeness - masked as honest criticism. The OP never mentioned anything about this being any sort of an attempt at a professional shoot, and being posted under the beginners forum, I have no clue why so many of you just assumed this in first place. It was like a flurry of irrational group think. Nevertheless, it's like this everywhere, on any forum, for any topic. You'll have your pompous, elitist know-it-all's, and just plain d* bags make their own assumptions and lay down their wrath upon anyone whom they feel are less worthy. This forum mentality really gets old.

This thread is an example of what's wrong with internet forums. People are anonymous and faceless, so they feel empowered to communicate and interact with others in ways they absolutely would not do in person. I'm sure half of you wouldn't communicate like this in person, and the other half of you probably take horrible shots yourself and don't realize how bad your own photography stinks. The OP may be a novice and may need a lot more work, but there was no reason for so many of you to have responded in this manner. There is clearly rudeness here for the sake of rudeness - masked as honest criticism. The OP never mentioned anything about this being any sort of an attempt at a professional shoot, and being posted under the beginners forum, I have no clue why so many of you just assumed this in first place. It was like a flurry of irrational group think. Nevertheless, it's like this everywhere, on any forum, for any topic. You'll have your pompous, elitist know-it-all's, and just plain d* bags make their own assumptions and lay down their wrath upon anyone whom they feel are less worthy. This forum mentality really gets old.

And the OP...
I'm going be be shooting my first wedding Saturday. I'm really quite nervous about it cause that is such a special time for 2 people and I don't want to flunk it up. It's going to be in a church and quite dim lighting. The gear I have to use will be my canon eos 60d with 18-135mm & 50mm 1.8 and attachment flash canon speedlite 430ex II. Any tips/advice to ease the process.

She gave us no reason to believe whe wasn't 'shooting her first wedding Saturday'. If she had said whe was going to be taking some photos at a wedding she was going to, the thread would have been much different.

In any case, I find it ironic that this was your first post. I wonder which forum member decided to create a new account just to post this rant.

Winning first post, noob! :)

ghostdog said:

Lol

Most reactions

Back