Shooting my school

And that, boys and girls, is why we put protective filters on the front of our expensive lenses!

If it broke the piece of glass on the front of the lens, it would probably have broken right through a thin glass filter as well.

I agree that if you'll be carrying a 70-200 and it'll be bright, the D300 and its crop factor are probably your best bet.

Ok, good. I also have a Nikon 1.7 TC, I know it performs well, but with the 1.5 FOV change, will that be too long? Anyother tips?

Yeah.... I will bring it anyway.

Here will be my loadout.

D700 MBD10
D300 Grip
Gitzo Monopod
322 Ballhead
70-200
14-24
SB900
Polarizers
Pelican rolling case
Kneepads
Bottled water
300 F2.8
2TC
1.7TC
Any thoughts?

And guess what, you are wrong. The front element is too big for a filter so the big lenses have drop in filters.

Not trying to cause an argument or totally hijack this thread, but - Jaszek, you are correct that drop in filters would be used for creative effects on a lens this size. However, it's not impossible to have a protective filter on the front.

Here's my old 300mm lens with a 122mm UV filter on it.
Picasa Web Albums - Chad - Filter shot

Use both cameras. Because the numbers is going to be supremely confusing, we'll call the D700 c1 and the D300 c2.

Put the 300 on c1, the 70-200 on c2. When your team is batting, use the c1+300, but you might try tighter either by switching cameras or putting a TC on the lens. When your team is fielding, I'd use the 70-200 on c2 for infield shots, and the 300 + TC for outfielders. Mix it up though, the 300 will be good for plays at home if you are down the first base line just beyond the base.

Don't forget the pitcher-- softball wind ups are good for some really cool looking shots.

Good luck.

And that, boys and girls, is why we put protective filters on the front of our expensive lenses!

A protective filter for something like that is a joke. The front element on that lens IS the protective filter. Notice how nicely the glass from the filter embedded itself in the front optical element. The only protective filter that could have helped here would have to have been made of titanium. Not really a shoot through material. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I own a 400 f2.8L. Same lens as the one with the "dust spot":lol: on the lens in the photo. There is no 140mm filter that would have protected that lens from damage if one could be found. Hoya, Lee, B&W don't go that large. The only time I ever use a protective filter on any of my lenses is when the wind is so strong that it is carrying hard particles. A far better protection is a lens hood ALWAYS.

Last edited:
OUCH!!!!!!! That almost brought tears to my eyes, and from the looks of it, his too.

Yeah....."Be careful when sitting on the Walkstool on uneven ground. Avoid to put all pressure on one or two lower legs. Improper use of the Walkstool can result in bodily injury or harm. Always check the Walkstool before using it to make sure that the red button is in the proper locked position. User assumes all responsibility for use and operation of the Walkstool. "

I'll pass.....my kneepads aren't going to stick a metal rod up my arse.:lol:

Suit yourself, but shooting 12-14 hours a day at a NCAA track meet or covering a NCAA baseball tournament really isn't back country kind of stuff, and kneeling along the front front fence is a little impractical sometimes and where you are shooting from is nice even ground.

Unless you have talked to the governing body and the umpires on the the field and have their permission to use it, I would suggest you leave the flash at home. Sports and eye level flash units don't mix well.

Everything worked very well, I really shot with just the 300, 700, and 70-200.

Mine didn't come out that bad either. The only thing I hated is that the other teams pitcher couldn't pitch for life so I didn't get any shots of my team hitting the ball. I might post them some other time.

nice picture

Ok......

Anyhow, I am doing a little editing, I might have them up in a moment, anyone know how to put on watermarks through Lightroom or CS4?

Most reactions

Back