shooting night football

greenjk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
in shutter priority the meter that is on the camera that measures the correct shutter is it pretty accurate especially in shooting low light situations like night football

www.jasongreen.smugmug.com

Unless you’re shooting a top pro team you are likely to have poor lighting. You may just need to learn the lighting.

Jeff is right. Unless this game is illuminated as well as a pro game, there is a good chance you are going to run into lighting problems.

I would suggest cranking up your ISO (film or digital) and using the fastest lens you have. If possible, do some experimenting prior to the game.

greenjk said:
in shutter priority the meter that is on the camera that measures the correct shutter is it pretty accurate especially in shooting low light situations like night football.

In a word - No !

Your best bet is to shoot in manual mode with your lens wide open (none of this f9 and f10 stuff that I see in your present galleries - you'll never shoot night football with apertures like that!). Keep your shutter speed to at least 1/320 (and higher is better here!). And you'll probably need ISO 1600 for this, too.

And, in reference to the f9 and f10 settings from your gallery, WHY were you shooting with those settings? Just about everything in those photos is in focus (foreground and background) and your subjects are not isolated at all ..... the exif data doesn't show what lens you're using, but I'd open that baby up to at least f4 (if it'll go that low).

thanks yea i do have a 2.8 lens a 80-200 will 1/320 be ok in a low light situation

greenjk said:
thanks yea i do have a 2.8 lens a 80-200 will 1/320 be ok in a low light situation

1/320 would be the lowest I would go for shutter speed - and I don't let mine go below 1/400 ....
But a lot will depend on just how the lights are at your venue ....

wont i get a bunch of noise at such a high iso and shutter speed

Shutter speed doesn’t have any effect on noise, but a high ISO will. Of course, how much noise generated is dependent on the flavor of camera you'll be using... Some digitals are better than others where this is concerned. In any case, much of that noise can be eliminated in post-production PS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back