shooting night football

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by greenjk, Aug 14, 2006.

1. greenjk

greenjk TPF Noob!

in shutter priority the meter that is on the camera that measures the correct shutter is it pretty accurate especially in shooting low light situations like night football

www.jasongreen.smugmug.com

2. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Unless you’re shooting a top pro team you are likely to have poor lighting. You may just need to learn the lighting.

3. DepthAfield

DepthAfield TPF Noob!

Jeff is right. Unless this game is illuminated as well as a pro game, there is a good chance you are going to run into lighting problems.

I would suggest cranking up your ISO (film or digital) and using the fastest lens you have. If possible, do some experimenting prior to the game.

4. cecilc

cecilc TPF Noob!

In a word - No !

Your best bet is to shoot in manual mode with your lens wide open (none of this f9 and f10 stuff that I see in your present galleries - you'll never shoot night football with apertures like that!). Keep your shutter speed to at least 1/320 (and higher is better here!). And you'll probably need ISO 1600 for this, too.

And, in reference to the f9 and f10 settings from your gallery, WHY were you shooting with those settings? Just about everything in those photos is in focus (foreground and background) and your subjects are not isolated at all ..... the exif data doesn't show what lens you're using, but I'd open that baby up to at least f4 (if it'll go that low).

5. greenjk

greenjk TPF Noob!

thanks yea i do have a 2.8 lens a 80-200 will 1/320 be ok in a low light situation

6. cecilc

cecilc TPF Noob!

1/320 would be the lowest I would go for shutter speed - and I don't let mine go below 1/400 ....
    But a lot will depend on just how the lights are at your venue ....

7. greenjk

greenjk TPF Noob!

wont i get a bunch of noise at such a high iso and shutter speed

8. DepthAfield

DepthAfield TPF Noob!

Shutter speed doesn’t have any effect on noise, but a high ISO will. Of course, how much noise generated is dependent on the flavor of camera you'll be using... Some digitals are better than others where this is concerned. In any case, much of that noise can be eliminated in post-production PS.

9. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

you can always underexpose and bring it the exposure back up in post processing if you don't want to shoot at 1600