shooting optical crystal

roma77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.....I am looking for any help on how to light optical crystal. It is shot on a black background, but this type of glass actually acts as a mirror and sees everything in the room and thus renders the crystal some very odd shades of gray. The piece then looks flat and muddy. This is clear glass with large cut facets....kind of like a prism, but with some cuts to it. I need to make the crystal look clear, with mostly highlights, and some darker areas.

Thank you,
Romy

I think I understand your dilema, but it is hard to give assistance from just a description. Post a few pictures of what you are getting and it may be easier to give you some help.

I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way

Light tent, and light the crystal from behind.....I did alot of photography for a company that sells "crystals" and ran into all kinds of interesting things. I found a light tent is a must, and your going to half to light the crystal from behind.

Thanks to all the replies....I was using back lighting, but it was creating too many hot spots in the glass. It wasn't direct, but rather it swept across the background behind the item. So I attached a snoot onto one of the spots, and bounced the light off the back wall onto the back of the crystal and it's just enough to produce the clear look I have been trying to achieve. I have been working with glass and highly reflective items for almost 7 years and some of it is very difficult to work with....I have all the light tables, light boxes, and light tents, but some of it still has a mind of it's own. Especially the optical crystal....but I figure, if I can shoot these products, I can shoot just about anything......I know alot of photographers that won't go near this stuff! It can be frustrating sometimes, but the challenge is also fun!

Thanks again,
Romy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back