Shooting out doors in the Cold

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by CanadianMe, Feb 19, 2008.

1. CanadianMe

CanadianMe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can tolerate extreme cold but what do I need to know before I head out today in the cold. I know about the ziplock baggies to seal them up when I get in the house. I have a small Lowepro Camera knapsack and I am only bringing the minimal amount for now. Anything I would need to know? I will be out for several hours. Any suggestions would be great. I am looking for a larger bag but until I figure out what other lens I am buying I will be putting it of. So you cold living people can you suggest anything so my camera equipment is safe, or is it just fine in the case. Low -13 high -6 all Celsius.

2. Reel1

Reel1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do not think that the mild temps we get in Toronto will cause any concerns.

3. BYoung

BYoung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm from the Northwest Territories and I have taken my XTi out of my house and used it in -40 C for over 1/2 hour then brought it back inside and had no issue's. I didn't use a bag or any other form of protection (didn't think about it) I just would put it inside my hoodie while I was walking around. I figured it would be better then leaving it on the tripod.

I haven't taking my whole bag outside for long periods of time. Though I have left it in my truck for a few hours in the cold (truck was off) while I was doing other things.

I figure if it breaks I will send it in for warranty since if it can't handle cold in the land of winter it isn't worth my time anyways :p

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon will tell you that the camera is not rated for temps lower than freezing, (I'm pretty sure it's in the manual as well), so don't count on that.

For that to be effective, you have to seal them up, before you get inside. Often, leaving your gear in a zipped up camera bag will be enough. Just let if warm up before you open the bag.

When shooting in the cold, the batteries will have a severely reduced charge...so it helps to have extra batteries and to keep them warm/close to your body.

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats true with just about everything battery operated. When i go snowboarding my phone, camera batteries, camcorder battery are all kept in the pockets in the shirt closest to my body.

Its funny walking into the lodge and watching the batteries magicly "recharge"

6. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    We were talking about it in this thread. (After the 3rd post down)

I'll just quote what I said in there: