Shooting People

IrishCameraGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, here's the deal. I have no problem shooting landscapes and even animals in some situations. When it comes to shooting people, I just can't seem to get it right. I don't know if I'm just not patient enough or just don't know enough, but my shots of people seem to be lacking something that I just can't put my finger on. Sometimes the lighting is wrong, and it never fails that the second I push my camera button the person is making a funny face or something. Any tips would be great... Thanks!

OK, here are some of the pictures I took at my niece's birthday party yesterday. The pictures of her (the little girl) I think are pretty good. For some reason, I just feel like there's something wrong with the rest of them.

_IGP1597.jpg

_IGP1581.jpg

_IGP1574.jpg

_IGP1561.jpg

_IGP1545.jpg

_IGP1535.jpg

_IGP1532.jpg

This is just my opinion and may differ from other people's:

Ok the key problem I see is that you are not filling the frame with your subject. While this in itself is not a problem all the time, when not doing so it should be because there are some other interesting things to look at. Take the top picture for instance. There's an entire head+neck length of room at the top which is uninteresting. I would much rather see more of the people. The second photo is a bit the same.

The 3rd 4th and last photo may look better in portrait (vertical) orientation. More of the subject and less of the background. The reason I didn't include number 6 in this is because of his sideways pose is open into the frame. It adds a sense of space to the image. Pity this one is out of focus.

A couple of hints:
1. If you include the background make it interesting.
2. If you include the background try to avoid centring the subject.
3. If the background is boring fill the frame with the subject.
4. If the subject is long and thin consider a vertical orientation.
5. Always focus on the eyes as they carry the emotion of photo.

What lens were you using? Understand that I am a noob, but it really seems like you have a lot frame left that could be better served by filling the subject within in it. The portrait of the neice is really good, even w/those funky pants walking by.:wink:

have a good one
3Eo

They ARE pretty funky pants, aren't they? LOL They were great-grandma's. I was using a couple of lenses actually. I used both my stock lens, and my 80-210 lens.

Thanks for the tips Garbz. I'm definitely going to try again with those in mind!

ETA: I went into PS and cropped the above pictures and it made ALL the difference! Thanks for the tips...it worked wonders and will give me a place to start for the next ones.

Was I the only who was concerned at the title of this thread? :)

lol that reminds me of last night. I was sitting in the food court of the mall discussing "shooting people" and he said you better change your words.

Those were great tips that helped me a lot too.

lol that reminds me of last night. I was sitting in the food court of the mall discussing "shooting people" and he said you better change your words.

Those were great tips that helped me a lot too.

Too funny because I was thinking the same thing when I saw it. I often think I should what how I say things when refering to shooting people because I feel like someone will totally misstake my statement.

Anyway, I totally agree with the tips suggested in the first post, sorry I can't remember the name.

My feeling was lose the background also. The shot of the baby is wonderful but would be dynamite without background.

Garbz,
I don't think that I can ever find the tips you gave in extremely crisp manner in any book.
I learn a lot from your posts man...
Thanks
Ketan

Most reactions

Back