Shooting portraits in dark surroundings..

pandinus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Stavanger, Norway (moving to Bergen in November)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning on shooting some portraits and full figure shots at a specific sight. Some ruins not far from where I live. I'm thinking of creating a dark scene, so I don't know exactly how to do this.

I know I'll need some light on the background, but not too much.
I allso know that I'll need to light up the model, but a flash might give very strong shadows, and contrast. It might work well if I plan on creating an evil looking portrait, but that is not what I have in mind.

Do any of you have any experiance with this sort of thing? Any suggestions, or tips? I'd greatly apprechiate any and all help.

it all comes down to what is at your disposal.
Make sure to use multiple light sources. Or one light source and reflector(s).
Try to decide what look you're going for.
Whatever you do, try to separate your subject from the background by not placing them too close to it, and by lighting them from the back, to give a rim effect.

I never thought of the distance thing before, but it makes great sence. Thanks.

Rim effect? Do I need strong back lighting to achieve this? Or is it better with subdued light for such effects?

What color reflector would be best for such occations? I have a 5 color reflector, but I'm not to good with such things. So any and all suggestions will be greatly apprechiated.

Oh, yes... Thanks for that link Mike, I'll read through the page and see how much I understand. (I'll be asking lots more questions in due time. =))

Most reactions

New Topics

Back