Shooting RAW HDR?

phild2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I just got my first Nikon (D810) and discovered that the HDR setting on Nikon's cannot shoot RAW files.

I'm guessing there must be a work around for this that enables you to create RAW HDR files? Bracketing perhaps?

don't use in camera HDR?

Use bracketing instead, right? And then combine the RAW files using HDR software like Oloneo (for example) in post processing.

pretty much. However, I'm not even entirely sure you can use RAW files when combining, they would already have to be processed and converted.

or just take 1 shot and pull just about all the details out of the RAW file's 15EV DR. :p

pretty much. However, I'm not even entirely sure you can use RAW files when combining, they would already have to be processed and converted.

or just take 1 shot and pull just about all the details out of the RAW file's 15EV DR. :p

hehe, think I'll go with the bracketing :)

Yeah, Photomatix Pro allows you to use RAW files for processing. I wouldn't suggest using in camera HDR, unless you just want a preview.

Jake

So I just got my first Nikon (D810) and discovered that the HDR setting on Nikon's cannot shoot RAW files.

I'm guessing there must be a work around for this that enables you to create RAW HDR files? Bracketing perhaps?

You cannot shoot a RAW HDR because HDR images by their nature are processed images and a plane RAW file has no processing. When you merge a set of bracketed files on the computer into a HDR image there is processing that takes place. Your camera does not have the processing power needed to process a set of bracketed RAW images into a new one.

I'm not sure why one would want RAW output. Something like 16 bit TIFF is probably enough, but I dare say there are 32 bit file formats out there for the truly whacky.

The analog image sensor pixels in a digital camera can only record luminosity.
Raw files have a lot of processing done between when the shutter is released, which produces no color - just a grayscale, and the first time we see the file as a photograph.
The data in the Raw file written on the camera's memory card has to be processed to become a photograph.

Demosaicing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (also known as colorimetric interpolation)
Gamma correction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tone mapping, noise -reduction, antialiasing, and with some Raw converters even sharpening is applied.

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf

Most reactions

Back