shooting RAW

RAW files aren't readable like normal file extensions. They must first go through software to produce a JPEG or TIFF or whatever you want really. Photoshop CS comes with RAW file support using a plug in called Camera RAW, I think. That plugin can be purchased for $100 USD, and then you can use earlier versions of Photoshop as well. There's also other companies that make RAW conversion software, which a quick search on google would probably reveal.

You need to have the adobe camera raw plugin. If you use PS CS you can get it from their website. If you are using 7.0, good luck. There is a plugin for 7.0 but it is no longer available from adobe, at least I haven't found it.

I'm not sure about canon, minolta or others but nikon has a plugin that comes with the nikon software for the camera. When you install it it looks to see if PS is installed, then puts the plugin in the correct folder. This allows you to open nikons raw file (NEF). However, the adobe raw plugin is much better.

K

I don't believe elements supports RAW conversion so you're probably gonna need to get a seperate piece of software. I've heard that the Nikon one is pretty good, although that only really helps if your using a Nikon kit and I've also heard that bibble does a pretty good job. Bibble has a Photoshop and elements plugin and supports various cameras:

- Nikon D1, D1H D1X, D100, D2H, D100 D70
- Canon EOS: D30, D60, 10D, 300D/Rebel, 10D, 20D, 1D, 1DM2, 1DS Powershot: G2, G3, G5, S40, S45, S50
- Olympus E10, E20, C5050, C5060, E1
- Kodak 14n, 14nx, DCS Pron, DCS Proc
- Pentax *IST
- Minotla Dimage A1, A2
- Fuji S2 Pro, S7000

Checkout their site www.bibblelabs.com for more info.

I haven't used it personally but I've heard other people like it and it sounds like it might do the trick for you.

What camera brand are you shooting?

I was using elements 2.0 with my D70's NEF files. Elements will open these files but you have to install either Nikon view, or Picture Project. View can be downloaded from nikonusa.com. These have the NEF plugin that allows elements to open these files. Elements must be installed prior to installing View or Picture Project because like I said before, during the install the program looks to see what other editing software is installed so it can add the plugin for you. You can uninstall these programs and still be able to use elements with the NEF file.

One other thing. Nikon also has available a download that will allow you to view NEF thumbnails. Windows does not normally show NEF thumbnails when viewing files in explorer with this updater for SP 2 you can. Heres a link.
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...nl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

K

Irfanview can open RAW files for all the major camera types. You could open them in it then save them in your desired format (I recommend .tif).

The reason I recommend .tif is that it is a lossless format, meaning that you don't lose image data each time you save your image. You do with .jpg's. The downside is that .tif files are generally HUGE. Totally not suitable for e-mailing, but ok if you're submitting a CD to the magazine. If you're e-mailing pictures, you'll probably need to use a .jpg, but keep it the highest quality that you can.

No problemo. I may be new to photography, but I've got plenty of computer experience (c:

Most reactions

Back