Shooting remotely to laptop.

photoman720

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a way to shoot from your camera and wirelessely have it show up on your laptop via wifi or bluetooth? It is a odd question and I would like to know because I would like to have one on my camera and if there is not one currently on the market, I would like to develop my own.
Edit:
Geez my sig is incredibly old, i have not visited this forum in a while!

Yes, there are ways. If you have a Canon 1D there is the addon pack that makes it wifi capable.

Thanks but would there be one to use on a rebel XT. Like it plugs into the computer connection port and brodcasts wifi or something like that?

Not an odd question at all. Both Canon and Nikon have had this available for the higher end cameras for a while now. I can only speak to Nikon. The Nikon D1 series and several others could work tethered only. But the D2 series, D200 D3 and D300 all can work either tethered or Wi-Fi with add-on hardware and software. I recently saw an add for a flash card that had 1 gig and a Wi-Fi transmitter built it. It was supposed to have about 50 ft. range if my memory serves. But they did not have it available in CF cards yet. I emailed them about CF availability time frame and never got a reply.

I was reading about a wedding 'tog that shot the wedding pics and then relayed them to a laptop. An assistant made a slideshow and presented this show at the reception to a big screen or via projector. The slideshow was updated about 4-5 times throughout the evening.

Apparently, this was a big hit and he charged more for this serivice. I always thought that was an excellent way to add value to the photography experience for your clients.

I was reading about a wedding 'tog that shot the wedding pics and then relayed them to a laptop. An assistant made a slideshow and presented this show at the reception to a big screen or via projector. The slideshow was updated about 4-5 times throughout the evening.

Apparently, this was a big hit and he charged more for this serivice. I always thought that was an excellent way to add value to the photography experience for your clients.

I shoot Nikon and use a wire to connect to the laptop using camera control pro and its cool, but its slow, so slow that it has no value except commercial shots.

The way I see it you put down $5k or more for the camera WiFi trasnsmitter probably a grand or two beefing up your laptop hardware and software.

Or have an assistant or someone carry a card to the person building the show. Every so many shots or when you know you've nailed one, send the card back.

its the oldest form of transferring files, sneakernet.

[shrug]

Ive been wondering if you can use your laptop like a remote shutter to set custom exposure times, the canon software will only go upto 30 secs just like on the camera.

Nikon capture pro will even do time lapse. I don't remember the maximum setting but I believe I remember bulb. yes it has a computer control that will fire the autofocus and not take the shot and another one that will take the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back