Shooting room scene - recommendations

bmv82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I'm using a Canon Rebel Xsi. I have a requirement where I need to go to some houses and shoot rooms of 200-500 sq ft to feature the flooring in the rooms. The floors have anywhere between 30-55% gloss on them, so reflections are an issue even with polarized filters.

I've dabbled with photography for a while but I've never needed any type of lighting for a project. Can somebody give suggestions for the best bang for buck lighting setup for this type of situation - I'm on a relatively slim budget. I'm leaning towards a strobe vs continuous, but I'm not sure how many, what wattage, etc. I've tried using natural lighting but it's just not bright enough.

Thanks for the advice.

If the floors are that glossy you could do a couple things to lessen the effect. First is if the ceiling is a nice neutral color can bounce the light off the ceilings. If not, simple dome covers over the flashes to difuse the light will be enough. Having more than 1 flash on the hot shoe is almost a must to get even lighting. Most flashes will not cover the very wide angle lenses very well. We do some houses (wife mainly) and we typically use 2 - 3 flashes with wireless transmitters to light most larger rooms. Deppending on the room, most of the time we have sto-fen difusers on the flashes. Really dark rooms we will run straight flashes (dark materials / colors).

I think this youtube video pop up here before and may help.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OfzlIxzU7A]YouTube - Lighting Hotel Rooms pt 1[/ame]

rent some strobe and bounce the light off of white cards....some reflection on the floor is good to show it's glossy qualities.

Most reactions

Back