shooting smoother video

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone have any tips on shooting better video? I see video that is so smooth and mine is so amateurish and (bumpy?). I'm shooting handheld with 5d mkiii and 24-70 2.8. Also, does shutterspeed have anything to do with video? I have read to keep it low...why is that?

My primary monopod is the Manfrotto 790B. It is light weight and packs down in size. I use it with the grand kids sitting on the floor and only extend one section. I've put a water bottle on the other end with rubber bands and flipped it over for low angle glide shots using my fingers on one of the joints as a pivot.
Amazon.com : Manfrotto 790B Modo Photo-Video Monopod : Camera & Photo

For events I use the Manfrotto 560B with a ball head in the base. The chicken feet helps keep things stable. I've used this in the bleachers to shoot Commencements and it is good to do sweeping shots with arms extended in a hall or large room.
Manfrotto 560B-1 Aluminum Fluid Video Monopod RC2 Quick 560B-1

I rarely use a tripod since most of my stuff is family events, the grandkids running around, or the dogs. The tripod is mostly used for time-lapses.

If I do go strictly handheld, then I try to stabilize in post. Premiere Pro has the Warp Stabilizer which doesn't work on all shots.

I keep the shutter speed at about 125 minimum. I really don't worry about how high the shutter speed gets within reason. The SS has gone up to 400 and 500. Yes, you will read that it should be X and not to go over Y etc. But, for my stuff I don't see any problems.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back