Shooting sports & fast paced action. AF help needed~!

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently shot in England at the world junior ball hockey championships.

As with most fast-paced sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball) it goes without saying that this a real challenge for any AF system.

My shots turned out okay; I've played the sport for years and have a good sense of where the action is going on the rink.

However, AF struggles with the focal point, especially with it moving AND when it is not the center point in the frame. For still shots, that's what we have focus lock for of course.
side Q - when shooting in AI Servo mode, is there a focus lock?

Or, does anyone have a good (succinct!) article on the topic of camera set-up and strategy for shooting sports in AI Servo.

Here's a quick pick up from Google. Something with information similar to this, but in the sports context:
Configuring your 5D Mark III AF for fast action

Thanks a lot~!

What body & lenses are you shooting with? Assuming that you're using a mid-range or better body, then chances are focus issues lay more with your lenses than anything else.

Do you have sample images?
From your post it sounds like you are trying to focus on the ball versus the people.

And don't forget that you also have to consider how much depth-of-field the lens focal length, point of focus distance, and lens aperture settings produce.

My suggestion for quick and dirty results? Use the center focal point only and shoot a little wide, then recompose in post.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

What body & lenses are you shooting with? Assuming that you're using a mid-range or better body, then chances are focus issues lay more with your lenses than anything else.

I shoot with the Canaon 5D Mark iii and used the 70-200 f4 IS

My suggestion for quick and dirty results? Use the center focal point only and shoot a little wide, then recompose in post.

Thanks. That's very sensible and repeatable.

The main challenge for this lens combination was that when I tracked the focal point (puck carrier), various competitors would be running around, in front of, behind etc. that player causing confusion on the AF system. It's a typical situation for anyone shooting sports, as I mentioned.

I'm particularly interested in configuring the lens to ensure that the AF understands my intent (to stay with the puck carrier) regardless of other focal points entering the frame. As well, to maintain that focus, even if the puck carrier moves towards the edge of the frame (much the way focus lock works in stills). Thanks again.

The technical options in the Menu are in the attachment:
Capture.PNG

If peripheral action is causing re-focus issues you could consider back button focusing? That way you push the button for focus and it stays that way until you push, or hold down, the button again.

I shot unm football from the field for three seasons. I can tell you what I did which worked well for me. I chose the focal point which lent itself best to composition and used it specifically. Even if I auto focused and had to recompose slightly it still worked holding the shutter button half down till I needed to shoot. I'd change to either the center or right of center depending on direction on field.

The main challenge for this lens combination was that when I tracked the focal point (puck carrier), various competitors would be running around, in front of, behind etc. that player causing confusion on the AF system. It's a typical situation for anyone shooting sports, as I mentioned.

I'm particularly interested in configuring the lens to ensure that the AF understands my intent (to stay with the puck carrier) regardless of other focal points entering the frame. As well, to maintain that focus, even if the puck carrier moves towards the edge of the frame (much the way focus lock works in stills). Thanks again.

The technical options in the Menu are in the attachment: View attachment 125094

also some lens are better "configuring" the AF for sports shooting (or so I've heard). I just don't like spending money on the longer f2.8 telephotos which tend to get pricey

also some lens are better "configuring" the AF for sports shooting (or so I've heard). I just don't like spending money on the longer f2.8 telephotos which tend to get pricey
For some of us they are worth every penny and then some. Can't imagine trying to live without a 70-200mm 2.8 for the type of shooting I do.

For some of us they are worth every penny and then some. Can't imagine trying to live without a 70-200mm 2.8 for the type of shooting I do.
Agree here

f/2.8 and faster lenses have an advantage in AF speed and accuracy.

To process AF the camera opens the aperture to do the focus each time, thus one of the reasons the mirror drops .. to focus before each shot. Did you know that the AF module is located the bottom of a DSLR, thus the reason for a secondary mirror?
larger open apertures such as f/2-f/2.8 helps cameras focus more accurately and faster than non-pro lenses.

here's a very good Canon article about the AF sensor and speed related to lens aperture ==> Canon EOS DSLR Autofocus Explained

though I would think your 70-200/4 lens should be good enough for accurate shots.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back