Shooting Strangers with tact - Photojournalism

detectivezito

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a protocol question... posing this to the photojournalists in the group.

When shooting an image where the subject is obviously not a model, but someone in the midst of their own life perhaps on the street, or at work, or where ever... how does one approach the person. What do you say? Do you do it before? Asking, "may I photograph you"?... if so, how do you retain the natural feel of whatever the action was they were doing before you asked them? (Saying "act naturally" never works :lol:)

Anyway... any thoughts on how to make this work so you don't intrude on someones life, but also don't turn away from a great subject out of fear of bothering them?

Don't ask you will loose the moment you have got to get in their face
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM&feature=related]YouTube - WNYC Street Shots: Bruce Gilden[/ame]

Don't ask you will loose the moment you have got to get in their face
YouTube - WNYC Street Shots: Bruce Gilden

That video is fantastic! Unbelievable... Why do I feel like I'd be left bloodied on the sidewalk if I took pictures of people like that? Especially in NYC. Great video though...

Regarding your point -- I agree -- I'll lose the moment. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's okay to be obtrusive as long as you apologize after the fact.

WHOA! that video is crazy! i cant believe that guy does it so obvious, and most people dont say anything. hes got some major guts!

The statement, "I have no ethics" says it all - people like him give everyone who carrys a camera a bad name. Street photography is one thing, but getting into someone's face like that? A good excuse to get yourself seriously beaten and your gear damaged/stolen.

I've done lots of street shooting, and I either (1) Ask for permission before hand, or (2) shoot with long glass so that the person doesn't know I'm there.

After watching that, I was highly intrigued. One would assume that it being NYC, he would have a much harder time. But Times SQ is pretty much a zoo to begin with. I'm sure anyone could get away with it.

My question is, would somwething like this fly in places were people are supposed to be more tolerable (i.e. the south).

Regardless, I'm considering doing a project using this technique.

The statement, "I have no ethics" says it all - people like him give everyone who carrys a camera a bad name. Street photography is one thing, but getting into someone's face like that? A good excuse to get yourself seriously beaten and your gear damaged/stolen.

I've done lots of street shooting, and I either (1) Ask for permission before hand, or (2) shoot with long glass so that the person doesn't know I'm there.

Agreed!

To go along with his long glass remark, one thing i read was to keep your elbows in close to your body when taking street shots. For some reason it draws much more attention when your elbows are sticking straight out

WHOA! that video is crazy! i cant believe that guy does it so obvious, and most people dont say anything. hes got some major guts!

that is NYC, people don't really care much there. And when they give you crap, you give them crap back. Thats about it :p

Great video. I am really suprised that someone hasnt punched him out for what he does. Or chased down the street. But he would probably only turn around and take a picture of that.

Still say that dude's gonna get shot....

well in today's world in NYC you have to watch out when you shoot like this and who you shoot...personal experience lol. Actually went to times square once to take night shots but than remembered the Bruce Gilden video and poped up my flash (didn't have an external yet) and just shot random people. They didn't say anything and I just kept on going like nothing happened. also learn how to shoot from your waist/torso height. This way the people won't notice right away that some one got a shot of them.

I got news for you guys if that guy pulled that crap with me I would probably shove that camera into his eye as hard as I can. LOL.

Even though the man is COMPLETELY out of line, his pictures ARE pretty cool. It takes a special someone to be that ball-sy. (did you notice he takes a lot of pictures of older folks..hmmmm.. probably less of a threat).

Also there are many ways to get shots without getting in someones face like that. One way would be a telephoto lens the other would be a contraption like this

Super Secret Spy Lens | Uncrate

While these would allow you to photograph people discreetly, they definitely aren't substitutes for the images Gilden is able to produce. His results are a direct result of his technique, and I think the images are unique and instantly recognizable.

If you think you can do this with a 300mm lens or one of those ridiculous right angle things, well, good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back