Shooting Strangers with tact - Photojournalism

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by detectivezito, Jan 23, 2009.

1. detectivezito

detectivezito TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a protocol question... posing this to the photojournalists in the group.

When shooting an image where the subject is obviously not a model, but someone in the midst of their own life perhaps on the street, or at work, or where ever... how does one approach the person. What do you say? Do you do it before? Asking, "may I photograph you"?... if so, how do you retain the natural feel of whatever the action was they were doing before you asked them? (Saying "act naturally" never works :lol:)

Anyway... any thoughts on how to make this work so you don't intrude on someones life, but also don't turn away from a great subject out of fear of bothering them?

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't ask you will loose the moment you have got to get in their face
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM&feature=related]YouTube - WNYC Street Shots: Bruce Gilden[/ame]

3. detectivezito

detectivezito TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That video is fantastic! Unbelievable... Why do I feel like I'd be left bloodied on the sidewalk if I took pictures of people like that? Especially in NYC. Great video though...

Regarding your point -- I agree -- I'll lose the moment. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's okay to be obtrusive as long as you apologize after the fact.

4. Elese

Elese TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WHOA! that video is crazy! i cant believe that guy does it so obvious, and most people dont say anything. hes got some major guts!

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The statement, "I have no ethics" says it all - people like him give everyone who carrys a camera a bad name. Street photography is one thing, but getting into someone's face like that? A good excuse to get yourself seriously beaten and your gear damaged/stolen.

I've done lots of street shooting, and I either (1) Ask for permission before hand, or (2) shoot with long glass so that the person doesn't know I'm there.

6. cardonalj

cardonalj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    After watching that, I was highly intrigued. One would assume that it being NYC, he would have a much harder time. But Times SQ is pretty much a zoo to begin with. I'm sure anyone could get away with it.

My question is, would somwething like this fly in places were people are supposed to be more tolerable (i.e. the south).

Regardless, I'm considering doing a project using this technique.

7. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agreed!

To go along with his long glass remark, one thing i read was to keep your elbows in close to your body when taking street shots. For some reason it draws much more attention when your elbows are sticking straight out

8. platano

platano TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

that is NYC, people don't really care much there. And when they give you crap, you give them crap back. Thats about it :p

9. tasman

tasman TPF Noob!

Great video. I am really suprised that someone hasnt punched him out for what he does. Or chased down the street. But he would probably only turn around and take a picture of that.

10. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Still say that dude's gonna get shot....

11. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    well in today's world in NYC you have to watch out when you shoot like this and who you shoot...personal experience lol. Actually went to times square once to take night shots but than remembered the Bruce Gilden video and poped up my flash (didn't have an external yet) and just shot random people. They didn't say anything and I just kept on going like nothing happened. also learn how to shoot from your waist/torso height. This way the people won't notice right away that some one got a shot of them.

12. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got news for you guys if that guy pulled that crap with me I would probably shove that camera into his eye as hard as I can. LOL.