Shooting Strangers with tact - Photojournalism

Just a quick question for those of you who have done street photography, what setting do you you shoot in? I'm thinking of doing it when i head back to NYC in a couple of weeks.

I shoot in manual and take a reading off the palm of my hand

just like the guy in the video? solely monochrome or do you do color as well.

The guy doesn't have balls. What is someone going to do, slug an old man who is being followed by a camera crew - yea right.

And those photos aren't that great. As someone said, its more of the gimmick that you are drawn to, not the shot.

We had a local newspaper photographer get beaten within an inch of his life here in Sacramento a few years back, when he took some photos of some kids playing. The locals thought he was a perv or something and nearly killed him.

Gotta be real careful.

The guy doesn't have balls. What is someone going to do, slug an old man who is being followed by a camera crew - yea right.

And those photos aren't that great. As someone said, its more of the gimmick that you are drawn to, not the shot.
i agree and once again i see no technique as posted earlier...but then again simplist impression art paintings i dont get either or just flinging paint on a canvas....if nothing else i give this man credit for one thing he found something that sells and is selling it so hey screw it hes making more money than i am off my photography (i assume) haha but wouldnt be a strech im sure

I'm considering trying this (though not too abrasive) at the airport later this week and again next week when I had back to NY. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

I'm considering trying this (though not too abrasive) at the airport later this week and again next week when I had back to NY. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

No offense but the Airport might not be the best place to try this photo technique lol. As it is airport security is already on edge.

Also there are many ways to get shots without getting in someones face like that. One way would be a telephoto lens the other would be a contraption like this

Super Secret Spy Lens | Uncrate
That's funny! I like it. Now all you have to worry about is the people who think you are pointing at them! :)

They had their masks & flippers on. I did not ask or tell. :wink:

nudes.jpg

(2) shoot with long glass so that the person doesn't know I'm there.

Sorry this is more likely to 'give a bad name.' Gilden's work is a good example of street work. I don't have his guts but the point is it's obvious what he's doing. He's not hiding and is very visible. Don't want your picture taken.. take a diversion.

Using a long lens doesn't work - end of story.. you can't get the intimate feel and miss many chances because you can't get the angles right.

'Asking' turns it into a snapshot. Street work is all about catching the moment and the fact you have a camera on open display means you are not hiding.

Last edited:
Oh and as for those not quite 'getting' street photography. A lot of it is about recording life in a city. A very good example is "All Zones Off Peak" by Tom Wood recording life around his home city during journeys on buses.

Sorry this is more likely to 'give a bad name.' Gilden's work is a good example of street work. I don't have his guts but the point is it's obvious what he's doing. He's not hiding and is very visible. Don't want your picture taken.. take a diversion.

Using a long lens doesn't work - end of story.. you can't get the intimate feel and miss many chances because you can't get the angles right.

'Asking' turns it into a snapshot. Street work is all about catching the moment and the fact you have a camera on open display means you are not hiding.

So, tell me, when were you appointed Supreme Director of what does and does not constitute a particular discipline of photography?

I don't see that most of the people shown in that video had much of a choice as to whether they were photographed or not. He seemed to me to pretty much spring out in front of them. You may not like the results you get from asking permission or shooting long, but they work for me.

So, tell me, when were you appointed Supreme Director of what does and does not constitute a particular discipline of photography?

I don't see that most of the people shown in that video had much of a choice as to whether they were photographed or not. He seemed to me to pretty much spring out in front of them. You may not like the results you get from asking permission or shooting long, but they work for me.

I've seen enough discussions on it, and results of it, to see that the most successfull cameras for street photorgraphy are rangefinders or TLR's with a 35-50mm lens (or equvalent). To get the best work it's generally agreed you need to be in amongst the action. You can't do that sneaking around with a long lens. Stuff get's in the way, the angles are wrong etc.

I've seen enough discussions on it, and results of it, to see that the most successfull cameras for street photorgraphy are rangefinders or TLR's with a 35-50mm lens (or equvalent). To get the best work it's generally agreed you need to be in amongst the action. You can't do that sneaking around with a long lens. Stuff get's in the way, the angles are wrong etc.

Your right there the best street photographers only use 28mm

Most reactions

Back