Shooting the moon problems

I was actually really surprised how much detail I got with a 200mm lens. Though my camera is DX, I still didn't think it'd be that close.

to b honest i think mine suck i should hook it up to my teloscope! :p Although i wonder if the 5D would be better when it comes end of the week

RobNZ the moon taken from where I live in Kentucky is upside down from you the craters are on the bottom here

Was wondering if anyone would notice that, mine is the right side up :p

Wouldn't the zoom be smaller with 5d since it's not crop sensor? When you crop the photo the detail may be better with it, though. I saw some of those 500mm manual focus lenses on ebay that are only like $60 and look like a telescope. I wouldn't mind getting one of those specifically for astronomy photo's.

Yeah right now I think I'm at a little over 300mm w/ the cropped but yeah wondering if the details would be much better

I have a new one to share from tonight. 70-300 with a 1.4x teleconveter gives me I think 420mm at full zoom. Got the exposure right on a moon shot finally - it really is important to have like 1/125 or faster..

5011149518_25b7e97b1b_b.jpg

Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160) Aperture f/11.0 ISO Speed 400

How are teleconverters? Obviously, OK for moon shots. I see them all the time when I'm looking for lenses. Do you notice any image quality issues? I've heard that you loose a couple stops of light with them.

How are teleconverters? Obviously, OK for moon shots. I see them all the time when I'm looking for lenses. Do you notice any image quality issues? I've heard that you loose a couple stops of light with them.

Well.. I have a Sigma 1.4x. It doesn't work on any of my canon lenses except my 70-300 - and it won't mount up to it unless I zoom the lens to about 100mm because the rear element is too far back. It's not a huge deal, because the elements don't make contact but it's not exactly what you'd call compatible. Autofocus doesn't work on that lens with the TC either, aperture's too small. So it's not really my favorite piece of gear, in fact I wouldn't mind selling it.

The IQ is ok for me actually but yeah, and yes, you lose some light; 1 full stop with the 1.4x. It has its uses and is a fun toy if you can pick one up cheap. If you have really fast tele lenses or the f/2.8 version of the 70-200, I guess a TC is a good addition. I'd go with the Canon brand though..

Most reactions

Back