Shooting the moon

That would account for it. Needing to lighten it means you should have a longer shutter speed. At f/8 (ISO100), I would suggest you at least double the length of your exposure.

It was too windy to keep the shutter open any longer because it kept blowing the camera and tripod which caused blur. So, I did the best that I can. Most people do post processing with all their pictures anyhow and that's what I did and I liked the outcome so I'm not sure why this makes a difference?

It was too windy to keep the shutter open any longer because it kept blowing the camera and tripod which caused blur. So, I did the best that I can. Most people do post processing with all their pictures anyhow and that's what I did and I liked the outcome so I'm not sure why this makes a difference?

A proper exposure, especially when contrasted with an under-exposed photograph, will have less noise relative to the signal (the image of the moon).

Photon-count noise goes as the square-root of the counts. Say you under-expose your image, exposing for 1 second. You get 100 counts. So the noise level is 10 counts, or 10% of the overall signal. Multiplying that by 5 to bring the exposure back up to what a properly exposed image would be keeps the noise level at 10%. Now say you exposed properly from the get-go, for 5 seconds. You get a signal of 500 counts. The noise is 22 counts, or 4.4% of the overall signal.

I know this thread is a few months old...but I gave it another shot at the moon. Only this time, it was a little different. It was cloudy and very eery outside and kinda reminded me of a spooky scene and I just had to grab the camera. Hope you like it.

3612307411_f01a546339.jpg

3612306197_d33388ed9d.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back