Shooting tips??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Eyetattoo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been asked to take some pictures for a newspaper ad for my fiances Salon. The shot will be indoors with florescent lighting and there will be roughly 10-15 girls. Im looking for some baselines to start with so Im not shooting blind. This will be shot with my D3000 on a tripod and the kit lens listed in my sig. Thanks for any tips!

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you have any off-camera flash? Speedlight/strobe/softbox/umbrella? Reflector(s)?

3. Canosonic

Canosonic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bills question? If no, check a local store that specializes in Cameras (not high street) as usually they have gear for RENT. Also check for lenses for rent. Get a pro telephoto and/or a pro standard zoom (here in germany for one day it's like 20$).
    Tips ( I don't shoot much models , so it's the least I know)
    Set your camera to Aperture priority (A) mode, set the AF to focus on the center spot. Set the metering mode on Centre-weighted average (usually the thing between) and focus always on the closest eye.
    As soon I go to an event I shoot with these techniques and everything works fine.
    I hope I helped

4. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What type of info are you looking for? Tips on shooting settings, tips on posing, tips on equipment...?

The tripod might not do much in low light if you have people in the image.

As said, look into renting a faster lens, one that opens to 2.8 or a 1.4 or 1.8 prime.

Think about using the chairs, mirrors and other things they use on a daily basis for props in the images.

5. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No strobes or lights and no place around here to rent gear so I'm limited the the equipment I have. I'm looking for camera settings to start as a baseline and for tips on the group photo. I've got a idea of how I want the individual photos to look like but with 10-15 in one shot is new to me. Should I focus on the closest girl or use multiple focus points?

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If these pictures are going to be ads for your fiance's business, and he wants them to be the type of quality that an ad picture should be, then he should hire someone to do it. You simply don't have the equipment to do it properly... You can get pictures yes, but with nothing but an onboard flash(which in my opinion is worthless for anything except outdoor fill or triggering remote speedlights), the results won't be ideal. JMO.

7. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, what he said!

8. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I didnt ask if my equipment was adequate or not I asked for some baseline settings to start off with. Did you not read the whole thread?

Anyways, the shoot went well and I was able to get a few pictures that the shop owner really liked. The shoot gave me a great opportunity to mess around with the settings on the camera to see how it affected the images. The winning shot was shot at ISO 200, f/4.0 and 1/40 shutter speed. There was a little noise when viewed at full size but at the size it will be used (3x5 color ad in a newspaper) it looks better than 99% of the ads usually in the paper, so the owner and I are both pleased.

Here is the image after I made some minor adjustments in lightroom:
    [​IMG]

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I did.

Glad you're happy with your snapshot.

10. Misfitlimp

Misfitlimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not digginh how the backdrop ends on the left side there pal, or the sink in the shot. The girl in the front is blurred it looks like. IMO but if the buissnes owner is ok with it then thats ok. I personally woudlnt be happy with it. Rememeber i said IMO

11. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I wasnt too happy about the back drop but I wasnt able to move them to the right at all because the wall ends right beyond the crop. I noticed the girl in the front to with the purple hair. She was hard to get in position and keep goofing off so I went off of having the others looking good and not worrying too much about her.

Do you think I should have sped up the shutter or something else?

Thanks for the input!

12. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

quick edit, not great but you can do the improvements yourself, I've just recalibrated the monitor and thought yours too dark too. H