Shooting Tuscany

sdreitlein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a trip coming up from May 29 to June 9 in Tuscany and I am hoping some members can help me with places of interest and times of day to shoot. I will be staying in Lucca through the 5th, then Florence for the remainder. Day trips will be had... definitely to Pisa and??? I am wanting to go out there with a little knowledge as to what to shoot when so I do not "waste" time learning I should have come at a different time. Im definitely not opposed to revisiting locations, I would just prefer to know that early morning would be better than evening wherever I'm at. Also, which filters would be nice to have on the trip? I've been flirting with the idea of getting a ND filter, but am on the fence. I typically just use what I've got, which is the standard UV and a CP. What kind of exposure times would one use in the Duomo and other locations? Additionally, I think I read somewhere that tripods can be a tricky thing to have in Florence? Is this true, that you are not supposed to use them in the city?!?!

I also like to not only see the main sites, but do some different/entertaining things off the beaten path. I will be with friends for my stay in Lucca and traveling alone from the 5th on. I am fairly outgoing and game to try just about anything.

Any insight and experiences will be very welcome... thank you in advance!

I don't use filters, so no idea.

Get the smallest tripod imaginable, and even then consider foregoing it. The question is what kind of photography you do. Landscapes? Architecture? Interiors? Then you need it. Personal family pics? Then don't worry about getting the perfect shot of the Duomo's interior, buy the post card as a memory and move on. You don't want to schlepp gear you're not going to use.

Pisa is kind of boring, but I guess you kind of *have to* go. Go to San Gimignano. Go to Siena. Buy the Slow Food Guide and eat only in their listed places.

Oh, just saw your other threads (introduction, bag question). Well, I guess strap the tripod to your backpack, and off you go. Either bag is fine, go to B&H on 47th and 8th, they have everything imaginable. Play with the bags and see which one makes more sense.

Most reactions

Back