Shooting video boards in low light - Any tips?

domnahl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to SLR photography.

Part of my day-to-day for work involves shooting video boards, often at night. I am having trouble with getting the boards to not be -completely-blown out when i shoot them. All I get is a bright box where the screen is, and can't seem to get the camera to catch the detail on the screen.

I have tried adjusting my shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to compensate for the light, but have had yet to find the sweet spot. Can anyone suggest how I might do so?

Many Thx,
Dan

Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 1 of 1 by d - MySpace Photos

Yep, meter off the screen, Even then, depending on the video it may be somewhat different exposure from one moment to the next. Trial and error and use negative exposure compensation or bracket burst if your camera has it.

Thx for the tips!

Should I be shooting with the flash on, or off?

At that distance with the flash off, unless you want to illuminate something right in front of you. In which case, you would probably want to me in a semi-auto settings to control everything. But, based on that image and distance and just trying to capture the video screen, flash off.

Note: Some types of video screens look odd when you capture them. So even when you do get the exposure right, it may look grainy or have color bands across the video screen.

you're gonna likely want to shoot in manual so that you can control properly the setting and metering as well. use center weight metering to ensure you aren't metering the darkness.

Most reactions

Back