Shopping for a monopod for my D500 + 70-200mm

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm interested in the Manfrotto MPMXPROA3US, which is a 3-part monopod for my D500 with a few lenses. Only for photography, no video.

Would you recommend a ball head for this, or is it okay without? I have a Manfrotto Q5 magnesium ball head on my tripod and like it a lot. I was thinking of the MH055M0-Q5, which is very similar to the one I have, but it alone weighs 2.5lbs. It's also like $200.

I was also considering the MVMXPROBASEUS, which is a FLUID base with three feet. It's also very nice, but $100.
XPRO Monopod+ Full Fluid Base

I'll primarily be using it at the zoo, or sometimes in low-light situations where a little more stability is needed. Does this all make sense or is it entirely overkill? I don't need the best stuff, but I also don't want to be upgrading in a few years. I'd like something that lasts. I also really like Manfrotto.

I do not use a head with my monopod, I directly screw the pod into the mount. Monopods are made to be mobile, you can turn them any way you want to, so why would you need an extra head on top of that? Visit a local camera store, bring your camera, try one out. I think you'll find you have no need for a head on there.

I do not have a base on mine, and it's served me very well. The only issue really is the rubber stopper on the bottom is starting to wear out, but it's over a year old and gets a lot of use on concrete, the worst for that rubber on the bottom. But I don't see a replacement being more than $5 either, and you also have the option of using a spike versus a rubber foot. I probably should have done that a while ago.

I use one of the old manfrotto 3 second heavy duty monopods. I've literally used it as a hammer and it still works great.

I used a tilt head on mine, but only for the quick releases adapter so I don't have to take my plates off to use the monopod

I have 2 Manfrotto monopods. Just like Destin they are Aluminum and make great clubs. On one I had a mini-ball head. On the other it came with a rubber head. I added a Manfrotto RC2 plate holder assy to both so I could use my QR plates (RC2). They were about $30 a piece I think.

The included rubber head would not go over 90 degrees for vertical shots. Just let you bend it over some in any direction. I finally took it off as just moving the monopod gave you the same results. I mounted the RC2 plate holder assy directly to the monopod.
The only reason you need a head is if you want to take verticals and still use the monopod for support. Other than that, you can just tilt it forward / backward / Left / Right, for what ever alignment you need.

I have 2 Manfrotto monopods. Just like Destin they are Aluminum and make great clubs. On one I had a mini-ball head. On the other it came with a rubber head. I added a Manfrotto RC2 plate holder assy to both so I could use my QR plates (RC2). They were about $30 a piece I think.

The included rubber head would not go over 90 degrees for vertical shots. Just let you bend it over some in any direction. I finally took it off as just moving the monopod gave you the same results. I mounted the RC2 plate holder assy directly to the monopod.
The only reason you need a head is if you want to take verticals and still use the monopod for support. Other than that, you can just tilt it forward / backward / Left / Right, for what ever alignment you need.

I'll add that every 70-200 I'm aware of has a rotating tripod foot. If your lens has that, you don't even need a head on the monopod to shoot vertically.

I'll add that every 70-200 I'm aware of has a rotating tripod foot. If your lens has that, you don't even need a head on the monopod to shoot vertically.

Yea, I originally had (still do) 80-200 f/2.8 and it would rotate. But when using wide angle or smaller primes. Either needed the heads to do verticals. Or forgo the support and hold the hold thing sideways.

Thanks guys. I ended up buying the Manfrotto MPMXPROA3US monopod with a ball head. I realize it's more than I need, but it's easier for me to convince the wife to buy it all now, rather than try to justify another purchase with her later :)

Still have a few problems, though.

- I didn't realize there are a thousand different plate formats. This has resulted in having a 501 Q5 on my Manfrotto tripod, a Q2 on the monopod, and an Arca plate on my new Peak Design strap.

- I later got this Sunwayfoto clamp, as per B&H recommendation, but don't exactly understand how it all goes together.
Sunwayfoto Arca & Manfrotto Compatible Clamp MAC-14 B&H

Does anyone understand enough to figure out how this all goes together? There is no way with only the screws included this could all go together. Even if it did, I feel like it's all one big kluge.

I purchased the tripod years ago, but perhaps I should return the monopod and get one with an Arca mount?

The manfrotto 200pl / RC2 plates are wedge type like the Arca's. Apparently they are same dimensions, which I didn't not know. So, instead of having a lever lock like on the manfrotto's, this appears to have a threaded "pinch" style that works with Arca and Manfrotto plates. It appears you would slide in the 200pl like an Arca plate?

I spoke with Manfrotto. Should have done that from the start. Got completely wrong information from multiple people at B&H.

I'm returning the tilt head on the monopod, and going to replace the Q5 054 plate on my tripod with this:
Manfrotto MSQ6 Quick Release Adapter with Plate MSQ6 B&H Photo

It's arca compatible and will enable me to drop my camera onto the tripod with the new Peak Design strap with the arca plate connected to the bottom of the camera.

Most reactions

Back