Shopping for filters on Ebay - good idea?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by FidelCastrovich, Dec 31, 2007.

1. FidelCastrovich

FidelCastrovich TPF Noob!

After reading (relatively) good things about the HOYA S-HMC filter here and elsewhere, I decided to give them a try. At B&H they're around $50, which isn't bad, but silly me, i don't like to pay more, if i can pay less.

On Ebay the same filter is around $26 - yes, that's half - which makes me wonder whether or not they are a knock-off.

Has anyone bought filters on Ebay, specifically from these Hong Kong dealers, that seem to always have everything and anything you need? Also, is there a way to confirm that it's an original Hoya? Special label on the package or something?

Thanks.

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ebay is a good thing if you buy from a good seller.

not sure about those HK dealers. A lot of photography gear is much cheaper in Asia, so they might have original genuine Hoya there. But I am not sure about custom tax you might have to pay in the end.

3. FidelCastrovich

FidelCastrovich TPF Noob!

I know all there's to know about the customs in Israel, so that's not a problem.
    I bought a lens hood for my 17-55 f2.8 from one of those HK dealers, and it was okay. Of course, i didn't care much about its quality, as i do with a filter, which i'm reluctant to use anyway.

Half price is just too much to not be a little suspicious.

4. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

Ebay isjust an electronic version of buying from the classifieds. Some are good and some aren't.

Firstlt check the feedback : that is read it... not just clock the score, Some people will leave poss feedback which says how bad the supplier is ? ? ?.

But at the end of the day you take the chance... Although if the returns policy and the feed back are good , then you should be alright. I have used e-bay for years and only had 2 bad deals. Wish I could say the same for high street shopping.....

5. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

What every body else said, plus IMHO, I stay away from the HK dealers. It just seems like it would take forever to get a problem solved.