Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have:
Canon 300D
Canon 28-135 USM IS
Canon 50mm f/1.8

I'd like to do:
Portraits,
General walking around stuff (landscapes, still life, a little street shooting, pics of my friends when we're out that look "really good" but not necessarily magazine quality)

I'm thinking longer term, I'd like to get this, in this order:
1. Tamron 28-75 for walking around, general use
2. Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS (as a wide angle. I mostly do wide angle outdoors where there's a lot of light, so I probably don't need a very fast lens, and it's cheap.)
3. Canon 85 f/1.8 for portraits
4. Flash
5. New body - 40D.

Does this make sense?

Does the Tamron 28-75 yield better results (sharper images, better colors, etc.) than the Canon 28-135 USM IS? I have the Canon. I'd buy the Tamron if it will be an upgrade.

This works out to around $1500-$2000 though, so it'll probably be around 2 before I have the whole kit. I want to really learn how to use each piece before I buy the next one.

Thoughts?

Only shot a few times with a 28-135 lens. I do prefer my Tamron 28-75.

I'd move the flash up in important if you want to do portraits. Probably your next purchase so you can get used to using it.

I'd skip on the 18-55 altogether. You are right, its a cheap lens. It can yield decent images, but really, its not a great lens. Best to save up for a true wide angle. I have a Canon 10-22 which I love for wide shots, you can look at the Sigma equivalent for something cheaper. A great lens as well.

I'd skip on the 18-55 altogether. You are right, its a cheap lens. It can yield decent images, but really, its not a great lens. Best to save up for a true wide angle. I have a Canon 10-22 which I love for wide shots, you can look at the Sigma equivalent for something cheaper. A great lens as well.

Me too, you'll just wish you had a better lens if you get the 18-55. I picked up a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 when I got my 50D and love it. I'm not a "pro" in that I don't sell my work, but I do a lot of photography and have been very impressed with the lens. Of course it's not the wide angle 10-22 affords, but for $420 (at B&H, anyway) you can't go wrong, and will make you much happier than the 18-55.

Also, I second the opinion that the flash should move up in priority. I use mine a lot, and I don't even do portraits (although I do take a lot of people picks indoors).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back