Shops Stocking Film SLRs

Dope Hat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went round every photography shop I could think of in Glasgow today, and not one of them stocked Film SLRs. I think this is a bit unfair, and I know digital photography is the new thing, but it's a shame that film photographers are forced to order online or by phone. Thankfully I found the camera I was after online, I just hope all goes well with the delivery etc.

Do you guys think photography shops should stock more film cameras?

Sure I do. I think traditional photography is more fun, and I'd love to be able to inspect film cams, or any product I'm after, rather than buying it blindly online. But, if they are sitting there and not moving, it doesn't make sense for these stores to carry them.

I hate to see how any photography/camera store struggles these days. Between the onslaught of cheap digicams, the shrinking analog market, and the power of the internet, it cannot be easy keeping their doors open. They have fewer products to sell and are watching powerhouse office product stores carrying the same things (cheap digicams, printers, inkjet papers, etc) for less.

Yeah, it's a shame actually. At least they still stock film etc. Maybe they should stock less cheap digicams, and let the office stores stock them. That leaves more room for film cameras. But you're right, I suppose less people buy them these days, which is a shame.

Couldn't agree more. I really hate seeing the various ways plain old brick & mortar store have been impacted.

Just in general now, it seems people are more likely to go to the electronics superstores like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Obviously they can be more competitive with pricing than a smaller camera store, but they will also only sell the most "popular" cameras and severely limit the options that are out there. There is still something wonderful about going into the smaller camera stores and I wish everyone had access to them. I do agree, however, that they tend to be very limited in what they can afford to have on hand.

I try to do my best to support a couple of local ones here in town. As long as they are in the ballpark on their prices, I try to make a point of buying from them....before they are gone. Speaking of which, I have some medium format film that I need to drop off for processing...wheee! :D

Higher quality new film camera sales [as opposed to throwaways] are now pretty much confined to the big city and mail order photo stores. There are also some mail order used camera stores with large inventories.

Meanwhile, ebay keeps rolling right along with the largest selection of used cameras and equipment ever seen. Some caution is advised on auction sales. You can get stung. You can also get a clean, functional Konica TC/f1.7 50mm Hexanon for $25 or an equally fine Argus C-4 for $7.

The only film cameras I see in my local camera stores are used. I am not complaining. Its a great time to be in the market for a film body and used stuff. My wallet feels it as I keep finding deals that I can't pass up.

when i went to get my film SLR i had a choice of an old canon new canon reel k2(which i got) and something else that was way above my price range. Its a shame you cant get so many thigns in person i hate the whole online thing. I would love to buy film from my local camera shop but the problem is a 4 roll box of kodak 400 speed is about $18 or so and at rite aid they have teh exact same thing for about $8

Chase said:
Just in general now, it seems people are more likely to go to the electronics superstores like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Obviously they can be more competitive with pricing than a smaller camera store, but they will also only sell the most "popular" cameras and severely limit the options that are out there. There is still something wonderful about going into the smaller camera stores and I wish everyone had access to them. I do agree, however, that they tend to be very limited in what they can afford to have on hand.

I try to do my best to support a couple of local ones here in town. As long as they are in the ballpark on their prices, I try to make a point of buying from them....before they are gone. Speaking of which, I have some medium format film that I need to drop off for processing...wheee! :D

Hmmm, when did you start shooting MF? We'll have to go shoot film sometime, LOL!!

DeepSpring said:
when i went to get my film SLR i had a choice of an old canon new canon reel k2(which i got) and something else that was way above my price range. Its a shame you cant get so many thigns in person i hate the whole online thing. I would love to buy film from my local camera shop but the problem is a 4 roll box of kodak 400 speed is about $18 or so and at rite aid they have teh exact same thing for about $8

I used to buy my BW film (TMax 400, the only one they had) at Wal Mart for about seven bucks a roll--24 exp rolls, mind you--until I found the local photo shop. Now, I get my TMax 100 or 400 for about $3.95 for a roll of 36 exp. And they have all three TMax films, and the *-X films, and the Portra films, and slide film, and God only knows how many kinds of Fuji film. So, I go to the camera store. They have ilford film, too. And BW chemistry, strangely enough...

But, other than that, they sell mostly used film and digital gear, new digital gear, and they've got a large area dedicated to lighting equipment, tripods, and other studio equipment. The largest section is dedicated to lighting... Partly because reflectors and softboxes are bulky, and partly because they've just got a LOT of it.

The best thing about that store? The conversation with Oscar, who's been working either in that store, or in the photography business, for the better part of a century. You can't beat that, and best of all, it's free!

While you walk down nostalgia lane, try to remember when a 3inch deep film developing 8x10 plastic tray cost five bucks, and a 6 inch dish pan with about the same deminsions cost 50 cents. Those guys shot themselves in the foot by gouging us for years.

Only one of my camera store's clerks ever knew shutter speed from aperture. When they died, as old men must, the kids would get you the camera you already knew you wanted from the shelf. And then explain that no there was no return, if you just didn't like it. If it was defective, he would be happy to send it off for repairs.

Loan you a camera while it is gone, surely you jest sir. I can however rent you a camera to replace the defective camera I sold you until it comes back. They weren't all that great.

Take a defective camera back to walmart or most of the major stores and walk out with a new one. No not after you have used it a month, but if it is defective when you get it home, they will swap it out for you. Office depot took one back after about ten days when it quit. I took my money and ran.

I know the first camera store I ever delt with helped me get into business by selling me used equipment for what it was really worth. Trust me they got it back in paper developing trays till I learned better.

That said, it was nice to walk in and drool. I even bought a couple of high end cameras from them over the years. It was before ebay and on line shopping. I have no loyalty to anyone when it comes to money and cameras.

Most reactions

Back