Shot first pix in RAW...why did my camera make JPGs too?

sojourn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I tried shooting my latest set of images in RAW. I liked the format a lot. I am used to adjusting photos, and I liked the features.

What I found disillusioning was the memory disappearing much faster than I expected, and this was an important shoot so that I had to eliminate some of the earlier images on the camera and when I downloaded my images I see why, it seems that there are identical JPG files of the RAW photos side by side. I always have used the high res JPG format in the past.

What the heck is that about? What am I doing wrong with my setup? I am using a Canon 40D. I was switching back between P and some of the Creative settings, which do not record in RAW, is that causing the double up? My 2Gb card was filling faster than a plugged sink! :confused:

I am also using Canon's Digital Photo Professional program as a starting platform to catalog photos and send to PhotoPaint for touchup, if that means anything.

Last edited:
Most cameras will shoot in RAW, RAW+JPEG, or just JPEG. You were likely shooting in RAW+JPEG which would explain having duplicates of the raw images in jpeg. Other than that, not entirely sure. I'd take a look in the camera manual to see what was going on.

Yeah, double check your settings. You probably have it on RAW+JPG.

:lol: Yeppers, it was on RAW+L JPG. It was not wise to try switching to a new format when I was pressed into taking important pictures, I was not looking carefully. :p

**whew!!**, I was afraid I was going to have to buy more memory cards!My 2Gb will last all day, normally. It might be a good idea to get a 4 or 8 Gb card at some point anyway.

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back