Shot from the hip.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In town today I did some street shots from the hip so as not to attract attention. I used a Vivitar 20/3.8 which is prone to flair even with a hood on.

1. yes the hood was on.

P1080362sm.jpg

P1080365sm.jpg

3. I really screwed up with this one but I liked the tree against the sky.

P1080369sm.jpg

For me, street shots have to be monochrome conversions. Black and white candids just reach me emotionally much, much more than coloured versions. But that's me.

One thing I'm noticing here is that they are too messy. It's hard to control that in the streets, but I having visions of crops that might emphasize your subjects: persons.
1. In order for her to walk into the frame, you'd need to include that pole and the car - which is less than ideal, at best.
2. the best shot. the framing with the tree might work well if you crop out what's right of the tree, and more of the stuff around the man.
3. this does not nothing for me. You were a bit unfortunate with the aiming of the shot, pointing too much up.

:)

For me, street shots have to be monochrome conversions. Black and white candids just reach me emotionally much, much more than coloured versions. But that's me.

One thing I'm noticing here is that they are too messy. It's hard to control that in the streets, but I having visions of crops that might emphasize your subjects: persons.
1. In order for her to walk into the frame, you'd need to include that pole and the car - which is less than ideal, at best.
2. the best shot. the framing with the tree might work well if you crop out what's right of the tree, and more of the stuff around the man.
3. this does not nothing for me. You were a bit unfortunate with the aiming of the shot, pointing too much up.

:)

I understand your point of view but these are "street shots", literally from the hip,thus no cropping.

SHot #2 shows off that lens's poor level of image correction--it looks like the photo was imaged through a magnifying glass. Just awful.

Looking at the branches and the mocha-colored building facade, can you see the "wonky" image quality? How everything looks fuzzy? Not clear, not sharp? Looks like lateral CA to me. The image is so small, it's hard to see definitively, but the whole left side and middle of #2 look poor to me, as if lateral CA is messing up the image sharpness.

It's the color aberration visible e.g the left edge of the lamp post, the right edge of the tree trunk. I have the same problem using a 0.6x w/a adaptor. It can be corrected with software, but i'd usually opt instead for monchrome conversions which are unaffected by it.

Most reactions

Back