Shot in RAW... now what?

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I luckily shot in RAW today when photographing a 3-year old. She was so fast and I didn't always remember to correctly adjust my exposure and shutter speed. Luckily I caught them all in RAW... now how do I access those files? I've googled but nothing is really making sense to me, so I thought I'd ask here.

I have PS Elements, shouldn't it open a RAW file? Because nothing on my computer will so far. And then, when I do get it open, how do I save it so I can edit it? I got some really cute pictures that were either way over or underexposed, and I know if I can figure out how to get the file open, I can make them really great!

Thanks in advance!

I use rawshooter essentials. It was a free download and seems to work well enough.

Elements 8 will open raw but I don't know about earlier versions. Your camera probably came with a software to open raw also. You may just not have installed it because you didn't think you would need it. If you have lost the disc you can usually go to the manufacturer's website and download the software for your camera for free.
I use Lightroom.

Elements 8 will open raw but I don't know about earlier versions. Your camera probably came with a software to open raw also. You may just not have installed it because you didn't think you would need it. If you have lost the disc you can usually go to the manufacturer's website and download the software for your camera for free.
I use Lightroom.

Haha, yep, spot on! I figured "I have PS Elements... I don't need this software!" Oops...:blushing:

I have PSE8 and I open them in Adobe Camera Raw. Open the PSE organizer, right click on the image, choose "Open with Photoshop Elements Editor, and then it opens in ACR. On the bottom right there is a button "Open Image" or something similar. It will open the image in the editor.

Yup, first check the software that came with your camera. Photoshop Elements should open them as well, but you may have to download an update to the 'Adobe Camera Raw' part of your software.

Once you get it open, you can make certain adjustments...and then you 'convert' the file. From there you can save the file as TIFF, JPEG etc.

I didn't always remember to correctly adjust my exposure and shutter speed. Luckily I caught them all in RAW
RAW is not magic. It won't be able to save shots that are severely over or underexposed...or blurry etc. It does give you more leeway than just shooting in JPEG...but not as much as you seem to think it will.

Looks like I have Elements 7.0 and I don't see the software anywhere. I really don't remember even seeing it, and I haven't thrown anything away. I'll see if I can find a phone number or something to call and see if they have any advice for me. Thank you again everyone!

What camera do you have? These are free:

Nikon:
ViewNX from Nikon

Canon:
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR

Other brands:
http://www.goodluck.com/ihavenoidea.html ;)

Nikon D5000. Thank you! I'll try that link now...

These are two of the photos I feel like I can save and re-do:
Emily156.jpg

Emily070.jpg

What camera do you have? These are free:

Nikon:
ViewNX from Nikon

Canon:
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR

Other brands:
http://www.goodluck.com/ihavenoidea.html ;)

Nikon D5000. Thank you! I'll try that link now...

These are two of the photos I feel like I can save and re-do:
Emily156.jpg

Emily070.jpg

Oh dear your settings where way off on those 2 shots didn't you check your histogram while you were shooting, RAW is not a miracle cure

Well... yeah they were way off! I was chasing a 2-year old from shadows to lit up spots, lol. I am brand new to shooting in manual, so I didn't always remember to check the -/+ thing in my viewfinder, like I said in my OP. I think that the RAW photo, if it is what I thought it was, wouldn't be so severely under and over exposed for those photos. It wasn't that bright or dark outside by a long shot, but my settings were obviously way off.

Just sayin.... don't hate on the beginner when I flatout admit I don't know what I'm doing. :lol:

I am brand new to shooting in manual,
Shooting in manual isn't always better. Actually, the situation you describe sounds like a perfect time to use one of the auto modes.

I am brand new to shooting in manual,
Shooting in manual isn't always better. Actually, the situation you describe sounds like a perfect time to use one of the auto modes.

I switched to aperture priority mode for the most part of this "session." The whole point of taking photos of her was for me to learn how to use the different modes and settings on my camera. I did get a lot of excellent photos on both manual and A-modes, I just was hoping I could save these two because they are cute!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what RAW files are? I was under the impression that the file is basically exactly what the lens "sees" in exactly the natural conditions. If that's the case, then these photos could totally be saved. Am I misunderstanding what RAW files are?

Most reactions

Back