Shot in RAW... now what?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by McMommy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. McMommy

McMommy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I luckily shot in RAW today when photographing a 3-year old. She was so fast and I didn't always remember to correctly adjust my exposure and shutter speed. Luckily I caught them all in RAW... now how do I access those files? I've googled but nothing is really making sense to me, so I thought I'd ask here.

I have PS Elements, shouldn't it open a RAW file? Because nothing on my computer will so far. And then, when I do get it open, how do I save it so I can edit it? I got some really cute pictures that were either way over or underexposed, and I know if I can figure out how to get the file open, I can make them really great!

Thanks in advance!

2. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I use rawshooter essentials. It was a free download and seems to work well enough.

3. keith foster

keith foster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Elements 8 will open raw but I don't know about earlier versions. Your camera probably came with a software to open raw also. You may just not have installed it because you didn't think you would need it. If you have lost the disc you can usually go to the manufacturer's website and download the software for your camera for free.
    I use Lightroom.

4. McMommy

McMommy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Haha, yep, spot on! I figured "I have PS Elements... I don't need this software!" Oops...:blushing:

5. aliciaqw

aliciaqw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have PSE8 and I open them in Adobe Camera Raw. Open the PSE organizer, right click on the image, choose "Open with Photoshop Elements Editor, and then it opens in ACR. On the bottom right there is a button "Open Image" or something similar. It will open the image in the editor.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yup, first check the software that came with your camera. Photoshop Elements should open them as well, but you may have to download an update to the 'Adobe Camera Raw' part of your software.

Once you get it open, you can make certain adjustments...and then you 'convert' the file. From there you can save the file as TIFF, JPEG etc.

RAW is not magic. It won't be able to save shots that are severely over or underexposed...or blurry etc. It does give you more leeway than just shooting in JPEG...but not as much as you seem to think it will.

7. McMommy

McMommy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like I have Elements 7.0 and I don't see the software anywhere. I really don't remember even seeing it, and I haven't thrown anything away. I'll see if I can find a phone number or something to call and see if they have any advice for me. Thank you again everyone!

8. dyyylan

dyyylan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. McMommy

McMommy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. twostep376

twostep376 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Oh dear your settings where way off on those 2 shots didn't you check your histogram while you were shooting, RAW is not a miracle cure

12. McMommy

McMommy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well... yeah they were way off! I was chasing a 2-year old from shadows to lit up spots, lol. I am brand new to shooting in manual, so I didn't always remember to check the -/+ thing in my viewfinder, like I said in my OP. I think that the RAW photo, if it is what I thought it was, wouldn't be so severely under and over exposed for those photos. It wasn't that bright or dark outside by a long shot, but my settings were obviously way off.

Just sayin.... don't hate on the beginner when I flatout admit I don't know what I'm doing. :lol: