Shots from my "Towel Studio"

inshaala

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
album.cogia.net
So i get this idea from a friend over on another site to use a towel for an infinity curve, a desk lamp with a tissue as a diffuse light source and just add stuff, a camera and some inspiration - because i dont have access to a studio. This is what i came up with:

Both presents i never (sadly) have the opportunity to use - lala is a nickname i have gained from my online name and also has a personal meaning between me and a friend who gave me the reflective flask.
Toweljack.jpg

This is the only one of the three using natural light coming from the window behind the incense - just look at the shadow to work it out.
Incense.jpg

Drinkers wallet from the night before allowed this shot:
Pound.jpg

All shot on a Canon 30D with a Sigma 105mm EX DG Macro.

Would love to hear what you think - and i would prefer completely honest critique and/or suggestions, it's the only way i can improve :)

First one is nice, but I feel that the carpet takes away from it...not so much the other two, but especially with the flasks.

Second one's my fav, even with the carpet...I like the smoothness of the smoke line

And the pounds..well...I like the setup of it, but the carpet kind of takes away from it for me again...sorry!

Thanks for your honest comments - it is refreshing to have people point things out to you that you wouldnt have automatically noticed or were to engrossed to take a step back from things :)

i have got the same feedback about the third shot on another forum i post on... i am going to take that shot again with a sheet as the infinity curve and see how it comes out. Thing is i have to horde pound coins now as i spent the ones you see in the shot ;)

I like the lighting. I would think the coins could be difficult to photograph.

The second image is my fav. too, mostly for that great blue color. It would be fun to try different things with the image like desaturating everything not blue.

Some ideas for the flask shot: Try creating a more interesting reflection in the flask by using black mat board and maybe a fabric or something not so flat would soften the ground.

I like how the towel is out of focus in the coin image but the blur in front is distracting. If you decide to shoot this again it would be interesting to get one from an angle so the top coin isn't head on.

I'd love to see the pound coins shot with a mirror base. Or a dark reflective base. Personally think it would work. At the moment #2 is the best, everything is right. As for #1, dunno, maybe a pure white background? So the flasks pop it bit more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back