Should I be charging a model/actress/singer?

There's a good chance she expects to get paid. She may well have pegged you as an amateur willing to pay for a good model, and doesn't care of you're any good.

Working models don't pay the photographer. Either the client pays both the photographer and the model, or the photographer pays the model. The only time money goes the other way is when the model is very very new and probably both naive and unskilled.

There are exceptions, of course. Far more common are GWACs who lie about hour the models actually pay THEM.
You may have more experience then I do, but honestly this trend is starting to die aswell. Many photographers i've noticed are starting to get fed up with paying for literally everything. Yes, many understand it is an expensive field to get into and that is one of the requisites into getting the exact photo you wan't. I've noticed on some sites where photographers state they are only TF's or looking for compensation themselves.

Eitherway, if a model quoted me a price to shoot them, i'd say something along the lines "Well My price is (2x what the model asked for), so you can get a 50% discount)

Working models are still not gonna pay you. Working is, by definition, where you do stuff and someone else pays you to do it.

TF is getting paid, albeit at the very low end.

Sure photographers are getting sick of paying for everything. Too bad. There's a lot of photographers out there and a fair number of clients. Good models don't have to work for prints.

If you refuse to pay, and you don't have the chops or desire to get hired by a third party client, then get used to working with bad models. Not interesting to look at. Late or no shows. High as a kite when they do show. And so on.

I know a guy who does really world class work, but since he's not in it as a job, he pays models. He gets very good models and produces work that he loves.

Working models are still not gonna pay you. Working is, by definition, where you do stuff and someone else pays you to do it.

I've noticed market trends vary based on what it is. I'm not a professional, or model shoots are not my genre of full interest, but from what i'm hearing the tide is slowly changing to where models want a certain style for their pics a certain photographer/MUA combo could do only .

TF is getting paid, albeit at the very low end.

Sure. You are also getting paid aswell. Its an even trade in my opinion.

Sure photographers are getting sick of paying for everything. Too bad. There's a lot of photographers out there and a fair number of clients. Good models don't have to work for prints.

Good models can work for prints if they wanted to. Certain photographers can turn the shoot into an art form which certain models go for. It depends on which party wants who's creativity more.

Similiar comment, "Sure, models have to show up at the shoot and stay in shape...too bad". Trends are trends and they do change. The economic market is changing especially with the slower drop of SLR users/ GWC'S starting to even off and drop.

If you refuse to pay, and you don't have the chops or desire to get hired by a third party client, then get used to working with bad models. Not interesting to look at. Late or no shows. High as a kite when they do show. And so on.
Not always the case. Many outliers exist. One model I worked with the while back still kept pretty nervous with her modeling talent and only went for trades.

Again, take my words for a grain of salt. You probably have more aged experience then i do in this field. I'm just noticing this as modelshoots are more or less a hobby for me.

Good models typically are represented by a model agency.
The model agency contracts with an advertising agency to provide a model(s).
The advertising agency pays the model agency (who then pays the model) and the ad agency pays the photographer to make the photos the model(s) is in.

There are very, very few people in the US that make a living working as a model (about 4800 in 2012 - average pay $9 an hour.)

I don't think I would do it for free unless YOU wanted the images in your portfolio and if the experience itself and having those images would outweigh the lack of compensation.

The mom with the camera, trying to low ball her way into a viable business is, as is established by internet forums daily, not only stupid but evil and most importantly bad value for the customer.

Replace photographer with model and screw your thinking cap on extra tight.

The mom with the camera, trying to low ball her way into a viable business is, as is established by internet forums daily, not only stupid but evil and most importantly bad value for the customer.

Replace photographer with model and screw your thinking cap on extra tight.
Customer to decide what is good or bad value to them in the art world.

Not another person else.

We may agree to disagree here, but i'm just saying outliers do exist. Believe what you'd like from your experience...that is what you've seen and know more.

Yes outliers exist.

Curious to know how it worked out for the OP

Yes outliers exist.

Curious to know how it worked out for the OP

She is very reasonable, and she is very excited to have photo shoots. I like to keep the relationship going so I can shoot her or her daughter again in the future. I'm not too worry about getting pay.

If there were other experienced photographers there then don't you think she's just looking to get somebody to do this for nothing?? or maybe to try to take advantage of? And yes sometimes people do this in trade (modeling for photos) but still, between this and the other situation with the guy at the event, it seems like you could be leaving yourself wide open for who knows what. I'd get work done even in trade in writing and make sure you're covered (have someone else present at the shoot, be clear about how many photos they'll get etc.).

I think you figured out that guy was a wannabe/loser and he just was wasting your time (next time, ask questions, find out who at the event is a sponsor, dignitary, etc.; seems like he was a nobody who maybe just wanted to act like a big shot and get attention). Working events takes dealing with people and being able to sometimes decline in a polite professional way.

If you're going to start doing work in photography it would probably help to look at professional resources so you can be successful.
American Society of Media Photographers

Who-whatever that guy I met wasn't that bad. He did that to other photographers. He let me shared his chip and sauce. He was about to offer me a drink, I refused, because I was too busy shooting the models. Beside the photographs are just quicky snapshots. When you go to the fashion show, you will meet all kinds of people. I met a drag queen, once. I saw an old man wearing a panty hose.

I'm planning to go another fashion show in December. I wonder who I'm going meet.

Last edited:
Here's the question I asked myself... Do you want to become a professional photographer. If so, charge. If not, Don't.

After only ONE brush with a paid gig I instantly decided that being a professional photographer held no interest for me whatsoever. I have since enjoyed taking photos, did some Senior Picture shoots, some other odds and ends, and other than selling a couple prints of my high speed stuff I've done it for free. I want nothing to do with the life of a professional photographer. That said I didn't feel it fair to charge a fee. That's not to say I won't accept a tip, free meal or bottle of booze as a thankyou, it's just that I don't ask for money.

On the other hand, it's my opinion that if you DO choose to go the route of a professional you have an obligation to use the money you get (at least a portion of it) to further your skill set and improve the quality of your gear to the point where you can deliver the best images possible. Also, you would be obligated to acquire the proper licensing/insurance required by your locale.

My amateur .02. Remember what you paid for it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back