Should I buy a Canon T4i or T5i

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Siconds, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Siconds

Siconds New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Hello, I am somewhat new to the realm of DSLR photography and I've been wanting to purchase a DSLR for quite some time now. Long story short, I have had my eye on the T4i for the past few months and when I was just about to purchase the T4i, Canon announced that the T5i would be released around the end of April.

What I'm trying to decide is if the new features and improvements included with the T5i are really "worth it". As of now the T4i body is $100 cheaper than the pre-order price for the T5i body because it's being discontinued or whatever. My budget isn't so tight that I couldn't purchase one or the other, it's more of which is the better deal.

Also, would it be better to buy the kit lens for now or to purchase the body and some other lens? I pretty much like landscape and anything from dogs to smaller objects.

Thanks in advanced and sorry for my limited vocabulary
  2. JohnTrav

JohnTrav Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    I haven't read any reviews on the t5i or any of the new features.

I would go with a t4i and invest in a nice lens.

Have you thought about a 60d?
  3. 07Vios

07Vios New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I would just get the T4i, but wait until they go on clearance. The T5i is essentially the same thing with the exception of a supposedly new live view autofocus system and aesthetics.

I normally dislike kit lenses on Rebels, but the T4i/T5i have STM kit lenses, which is supposedly design to work well in video. If you don't plan on shooting video, I say just get the T4i body, and spend some money on better glass (but the kit lens will meet your shooting needs as long as you have enough light around).
  4. Siconds

Siconds New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Are there any lenses that you would recommend?
    and yes, I have considered it, but from what I've heard and what I've researched it seems that they have almost identical specs and the T4i has touch screen. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your reply :)
  5. Siconds

Siconds New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I think that they've already gone on sale. Bestbuy is selling the T4i with the 18-135mm STM for about $800. I'm thinking about either getting the T4i with the STM lens or getting it with the 18-55mm and getting an additional lens. Are there any that you would recommend for close up shots?
  6. ronlane

ronlane Gone to shoot, be back later.

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Seems that when I saw the announcement for the 5i, that there was a new kit lens with it. The upgrades from the 4i weren't much so that is pretty much a wash.
  7. CherylL

CherylL Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I purchased the T4i with the 18-135 STM lens last year and shortly after that picked up the 40mm STM pancake. Between the two I used the 40mm most often. Much lighter and a great walking around lens. Just picked up the 50mm 1.4 for photos, but doesn't have the wide view like the 40mm in close spaces. The STM lenses have the quiet focusing for video, but I don't care for the continual hunt & focus that comes with shooting Auto and I think Manual be better. Still a noob. How the T5i compares with the tracking to the T4i, I don't know.
  8. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    You are correct. The 700D has very minimal upgrades from the 650D. It's not worth the money to buy the newest model. In 6 months Canon will unviel the t6i.
    I'm not sure I like the touchscreen feature. Are you preferring to take still photos or videos? It might sway your decisions between Canon and Nikon.
  9. Siconds

Siconds New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Currently, I prefer still photos over videos. And I feel that the touchscreen would really add ease to changing settings an whatnot.

@CherylL
    Thanks for the info, I've been debating on getting the pancake also, mostly because of the price and because I've heard so much about it.
  10. Wyler

Wyler New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Perhaps you should wait for the t6i, should be worth the wait.
  11. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Of course I was only joking about the future release of the t6i, based on how often they've released their models, it's anyone's guess.
  12. JohnTrav

JohnTrav Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    From reviews I read the 60d has a slight better with image quality of stills. Don't ask me why it how because I also read its the same sensor. And when it comes to technical stuff like that I'm not sure. Just basing it on reviews I have read.

Touch screen doesn't add any value to me when it comes to dslr cameras. To me it's just something else that can go wrong with the camera. But hey everyone has their personal opinions.

Another feature I love about my 7D and is huge or me that is on the 60D as well is the digital screen on the too of the camera that tells you all your settings on the camera. I don't like how the rebels do not have one built with it. That is a big feature I personally like to have and use all the time. On the other hand you can always set your LCD on the back to display that info. My brother sets his t1i up to show it.

As far as lens goes for for landscape I would say wide angle lenses. Any canon L lens you get is really nice. For a zoom lens the canon 70-200 L is really nice. Very good for portraits too.

If you don't want to spend that much on a lens or wide angle the tokina 11-16 I hear is very nice. Also sigma makes a 70-200 that gets good reviews also.

I have a kit 18-55 canon lens and it does a decent job. It gets wide. Something you can you around with.
  13. Siconds

Siconds New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I have decided to go with the T4i as it's very cheap right now and the T4i is essentially the same as the T5i. As for another lens, I'm still a bit confused on what I should get but I'll worry about that bit later.
    Thank you everyone for your help!
  14. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Active Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Just a recommendation...the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is $100 (or less if used). It is a very good lens to learn Depth of Field at a low price. For the money, it's really a must have. The image sharpness will be far superior to that of the 18-55 kit lens your camera comes with.
  15. 07Vios

07Vios New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Congrats on the purchase. As for close up shots (like macro work?)? I would go with a Canon 100mm f2.8 (L or non-L). I can provide some example pics if you are interested.