Should I buy the Tamron 28-300mm?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Traxtor, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Traxtor

Traxtor TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    At first I was looking at the original Canon EF 100-300mm. But then I bought this digitalfoto magazine in Norway where they had a test. The test subjects (on the Canon side) was Canon EF-S 55-250mm, Canon EF 70-300mm, Sigma 135-400mm and the Tamron AF28-300mm. They tested Picture quality, functions, price and usability. And what surprised me was that the Tamron lens won the test. It got 9 out of 10 on everything. The Tamron (new one) has VC as well. And it has quite impressive specs with F/3.5-6.3. But I don't know. The one without image stabilizer is 200$ cheaper. Is the stabilizer worth it? And by the way, the prices in Norway are expensive because of the strong value. So the Tamron is about 750$ with VC(IS). So should I go with this one or something else? I really need a 300mm lens since all I got now is a 18-55mm.
    Thanks in advance ;)
    Trax

2. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What camera do you have? Because if I remember correctly, all DSLRs but the absolute best (D300, EOS 5d upwards) can only autofocus well up to F/5.6. So if you are thinking of buying it, you need to make absolutely sure you test it out first.

3. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

It all depends on what you are wanting in a lens. A lens like this has major issues when it comes to image quality. This is a compromise to give you the most range possible so if you want convienience over image quality go for it but if your image quality is important to you buy a shorter and faste lens.

4. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    While I don't know much about the Tamron lens you describe , I have one Tamron and it is okay but hardly a really good lens.
    I have the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM and found it to be a pretty decent lens. Some reviews have described it as an L lens in a plastic coating:D

5. Traxtor

Traxtor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    400D is my present camera.

Yeah well that is what I am asking myself. I am not a pro but I want good picture quality. I can't afford an L lens but neither do I need a lens that covers a huge range like the 28-300mm. So maybe i should go for the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM. It's a little bit more expensive but it might just be worth it?

After some second thoughts I'm considering this lens more and more.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I am not trying to take a shot a Tamron they (and Sigma for that matter) make fine lenses it is just a lens with this kind of range is going to have image quality issues.

7. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thats's the rub there, lenses with a long zoom range tend to soft at the extremes. I have the Tamron18-200 and as I evolved in photography the more disapointed I became in this lens. There are no shortcuts and you get what you pay and sometimes less.

8. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It really depends on the lens range you have, and what you expect out of this lens. I currently have some nice glass...fast, sharp, etc...(finally). At this point, I would LOVE a lens with a huge range, like this one you mention. Why? To put on my camera when going to amusement parks, when going to a company picnic, when going boating, etc. Times when I don't necessarily care about quality, but when range would be very nice. However, I, personally, would NEVER use this lens for an event I was getting paid to shoot.

If you are in a similar boat (mine's a 1967 Mark Twain Mercruiser Sterndrive 4.3L Inboard/Outboard), then maybe look into 18-200 of some sort. 18mm is MUCH wider than 28mm, especially when requiring a walkaround lens. If there is a decent 18-200, then that would indeed be a true, crappy, walkaround lens...that might suit your needs perfectly (would mine).

9. Traxtor

Traxtor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I understand what your saying. But I don't really know what I'm looking for. I think I have to look into myself to see what I need the lens for. I WANT a lens that I can use on a long range. But at the same time I want it all covered from where my other lens stops (at least close to it). I'm not a pro photographer and I am not doing any photos for money. But I might be looking into that range in the near future. My other lens is the standard EF-s 18-55mm.

So after reading all the replies (which I am mighty grateful for). I have come to another "topic". Do I need the whole 300mm or is 200mm enough for me (whats the range difference)? And does the 80-200 lens stand out from the 70-300 in image quality?

10. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would say for a beginner, 300 is not necessary. Have you looked into the 70-200 f/4L? That's an EXTREMELY good lens, and Canon L quality, for like $550 new.

11. Traxtor

Traxtor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    WOW!! That's f***ing amazing! I just checked the prices in Norway. It's 1300$! And yeah thats the f/4 not the f/2.8. Guess I have to find a dealer in USA that will send the package as a gift with value under 200$ to avoid taxes. That will be my lens for sure! I was actually looking at it but the price was way to high in Norway. Thanks for giving me the heads up mate :D

Btw: the one with IS costs 1750$ in Norway. Unbelievable :eek: