Should I Buy this Camera?

tom_servo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Someone from a classifieds posting will sell me a Canon AE-1 Program with the 50mm 1.8 lens for $100 with the option to get the additional 28-70 lens for another $35.

I was thinking of getting it, does this sound like I should go for it?

I don't own any other camera.

Thanks.

$100 is a bit high, tom_servo. AE-1 Prgms in good shape usually sell for a
more like $50-$75

Just ask Cambot. :)

Thanks for the tip, I don't know very much about cameras.

I don't think I am very good at haggling either, any advice on how to go about convincing to lower the price via e-mail?

Just tell 'em you see lots of them selling for less and make a lower offer that
you're willing to pay.

But, be sure it's in good condition with all function working before buying
or agree on a return/refund option.

And what exactly should I check for when meeting up with the guy?

Well, if you're not familiar with the camera's features it's gonna be kinda hard
to check it out yourself. You can read an owners manual beforehand or
maybe bring someone with you who knows or take it to a camera shop
that knows.

Links to an AE-1P manual are here:
Canon AE-1 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Otherwise, if you trust the seller, have him/her show you that everything
works.

Also, open up the camera and make sure the foam strips that run along
the top and bottom of the film area haven't turned to black goo.

And, if the camera makes a squeaky sound when you fire the shutter,
don't buy it.

One way is to take a roll of film when you go to look at the camera and shoot it. Then take the film to a 1 hour place and have the film developed.

If you don't know how to use the camera have the person selling it to show you.

Look for White streaks on the photo (light leaks) spots, make sure that the frames are right (you don't have an end of one shot on another frame) and so forth. It should be fairly apparent if there is something wrong.

If the photos turn out OK and the price is right you're good to go. If whomever is selling the camera won't let you shoot a roll through it, walk away because it costs less to get a good camera than to have one fixed.

Ebay is a good place to find current prices btw, just look at the completed auctions.

Hmmmm, do they usually go for 50-75 for just the body?

Because this is $100 for the body and the 50mm lens.

I told him they go for 50-75 and he said that that was for only the body.

Hmmmm, do they usually go for 50-75 for just the body?

Because this is $100 for the body and the 50mm lens.

I told him they go for 50-75 and he said that that was for only the body.
Those 50 f/1.8 lenses are a dime a dozen. I paid $75 for my AE-1P with the stock lens and another lens for my Minolta. If the guy's not willing to be flexible on the price, just wait around for a better deal.

Just a follow-up. I managed to get a AE-1 Program with the 50mm lens and a 28-200 zoom lens from another guy for $50. And a camera bag.

Thanks for your help

The camera is in very good condition all the manuals originally supplied with the owners, and are also in very good condition, the seller was true to his word.

Last edited:
Someone from a classifieds posting will sell me a Canon AE-1 Program with the 50mm 1.8 lens for $100 with the option to get the additional 28-70 lens for another $35.

I was thinking of getting it, does this sound like I should go for it?

I don't own any other camera.

Thanks.

I would say to buy it. I personally own a model up from this one (Canon A1) and it could sell for up to 1,000 USD. This is in fact a great deal but you could get it for cheaper if you buy just the body online.:thumbup:

I personally own a model up from this one (Canon A1) and it could sell for up to 1,000 USD.
Only if the prospective buyer was somehow mentally deficient. A Canon A1 can be had in "excellent plus" condition on keh.com for $140, around the same as an AE-1 Program. I can pick one up for $50 on Craigslist.

I have found one of these as well on craigslist. He is selling it for $120 and here is the description.

"Canon AE-1 35mm Program Camera with 50mm 1:1.8 Len, Vivitar Wide Angle 1:28, Vivitar Tele-Zoom Auto 85mm-295mm 1:38, , Canon Speedlite 188A Flash, with Case, manuals, and other accessories"

I am thinking about purchasing it after some examination of the camera itself. Should I get it if everything is in working order?

^ $120 for a camera, three lenses, flash, and case isn't bad, really. And older Vivitar lenses generally get good reviews.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back