Andrew_Smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

Turned 18 on Friday and got some cash to spend on a lens. Although, I do not have a lot, so I came across this lens:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens

I think it is a perfect lens for my daily needs. But... Before I want to spend my money on it, I just want to make double sure I am making the right choice with this lens.

So, should I buy it? Or should I rather save up for a more premium lens?

First lets hear about why you want the lens (beyond spending money on a new photography toy of course). What do you want a 50mm prime lens for and what are you intentions and where is it going to help you achieve things that you can't already do with your current setup.

In addition what is it that your current setup can't do that you would like it to do (this might be the same answer as before, but could also be other things that your setup doesn't let you do).

In general the first step in answering this question is to find out what YOUR needs and criteria and thoughts are; from there we can offer our advice as to how well this lens might fit your desires and needs and thoughts; or it might be that there are other options to consider that you are unaware of

@Overread

Okay, to answer your first question: I was searching on Google for the best Canon budget lenses and found the 50mm f/1.8 STM. I found the f-stop of 1.8 most appealing and think that this is one of the main reasons I want the lens. As I read more about the lens, I notice that is great for low light conditions, which I think will help me in scenarios where light is limited. For example, I was the photographer for our school at the LAN event, but the lighting was very dull in the hall. I hope I am correct to say that this lens will benefit me when taking photos of the stars in the night.

Coming over to your second question, a few people (friends of mine and family) asked me to start taking portrait shots of them. The f/1.8 on that lens will really help me to blur out the background and giving me a sharper image on the subject which my current kit lens does not provide. By all means, the kit lens is not that bad. I am aware that the prime lens means that it has a fixed focal length, but I personally think this lens can be a perfect add-on to my other lenses for specific occasions. After all, this is an everyday lens (and portrait), and I am sure I will use it daily.

As a side note, also saw that it's focussing sound is silent, so if I want to like put together a family vacation video (capturing all the highlights) I can use this lens.

Few thoughts and ideas:
1) set your kit lens to 50mm and see how it is for you shooting. Granted 50mm on a zoom might not be identical to that of the prime but it will give you a very rough idea and also a taster for how the prime will feel. Some find that on a crop sensor camera 50mm is too long a focal length for many practical situations (esp indoors). So give that a try and see how it works for you.

2) The f1.8 aperture will certainly let in more light; but whilst that is great for asto-photography; for people its harder. See not only is it letting in more light, but its reducing the depth of field a lot. This means that whilst the background is nice and blurry your depth of field is razor thin. This means its very easy to have one eye in and one eye out of focus on, say, a portrait unless you get the angle just right.
As a result many times the practical limit is closer to f2 or f2.8 (which is still wider than your kit lens).

3) The lens certainly has a quiet AF as it was made with video in mind so yes it would be ideal for video work whilst letting the AF work its magic without being too obtrusive (Although on-board audio recording is always poor so a cheap or decent microphone that fits into the hot-shoe might be worth looking into as well - in the fullness of time).

I try your kit lens out at 50mm and see how it is. You might also try 35mm as that's the focal length many who dislike 50mm on crop sensor, tend to gravitate toward so that might be food for thought to test out both approaches and see what you like best.

Yes it's a great bargain. But, despite what everyone says...... I HATE it for portraits!! It doesn't suit me for that purpose at all. A longer focal length and a smaller aperture can create just as much background separation.

Short answer, yes.

It is the most recommended first lens after kit by far. A lot of literature will name the Nifty Fifty as the best step 1. I did the same thing.

I dont use it anymore because I think mines broken. But I did, a LOT, and Inlived it. But why not wait a year or two and buy the 1.2. Or the Cannonball? 85 1.2.

Wait, stop reading, buy the lens you really cant go wrong. Buy secondhand if you must, that way you can sell it same price when you inevitably upgrade to the 1.4, I mean 1.2, I mean seriously man its the best hundred bucks you'll ever spend in your entire life.

Bokeh is pronounced like french bouquet ( BO- Kay) if you ever heard Tony Northrup speak. I say Bokeh( Bo Ka) cause I dont know poop. Have you bought it yet? Stop reading go press buy now.

Real answer; if you need the moneg for anything else such as a school supply, peanut butter, electricity, ride to work, TP, or two dates at the movies, then dont buy it.

Thanks for all the feedback!
I will be buying the lens, but only secondhand. I am used to buying secondhand all my life, heck my whole camera gear is secondhand.

Turned 18 on Friday and got some cash to spend on a lens. Although, I do not have a lot, so I came across this lens:
Nothing wront with that lens, BUT my general tip for photography:

Dont go out "I have X money, I want photographic gear ! What gear can I spent these X money on ?"

Because that leads to a heap of cheap stuff thats not really doing what you want.

Instead, make a plan. Examine what your photographic habits are and what gear you would like most for these habits. Then save for that gear, getting it piece by piece.

Thanks for all the feedback!
I will be buying the lens, but only secondhand. I am used to buying secondhand all my life, heck my whole camera gear is secondhand.

that works - a refurbished 50mm 1.8 STM has been $89

Gave a little thought and decided to save up a little more to buy the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM.

Saw one locally 2nd hand for a nice price tag.

I feel that it is a much better quality lens and gives me the ability to play around with macro shots.

Sent from Pure Android

for me, portraits 35, 85, 105 (I use the 35 a lot, just don't get to close)

landscapes; 35, 17-50 2.8

still life type, flowers etc,; 105mm macro outdoors, 35mm in studio

sports; 70-200 2.8, 150-600

Tractor shows; 17-50 2.8

Gave a little thought and decided to save up a little more to buy the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM.

Saw one locally 2nd hand for a nice price tag.

I feel that it is a much better quality lens and gives me the ability to play around with macro shots.
Sent from Pure Android

true but the non-L version is sharp and a whole lot less (but no IS)

It's...
...Beautiful!

abwPhuR.jpg

Your idea of the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM, is a very good choice. You'll be able to do portraits without getting right up close to your subject. Keep in mind, this is a very sharp lens, and reveal every little bump on your subjects face. You may want to look into a good post processing program. As far as for Macro, it will serve you well. You will not have to get that close to bugs and other subjects. I think the minimum focus distance is 18-19 inches.

Most reactions

Back