Should I buy this lens?

sothoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've always wanted a good tele lens, but I've never been able to find the right balance between cost/clarity or cost/speed. I'm wondering what you all think of this one. It seems tempting, and appeals to my "techno geek" side.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06100101zeiss1700f4.asp

I'd mostly use it when traveling. I'm going to Alaska this year and want some good shots of the glaciers. The f/4 is really a good deal at this focal length, I think you'll all agree.

Any feedback is appreciated.

You got the money for it?? ;)

It looks like it is only slightly smaller than a cruise ship.

You could probably use a medium-sized trash can for a lens hood, in a pinch. How much does that little beauty retail for?

JD

you said in your message you want a balance between cost/quality or cost/speed......but this lense is out of these catogories.......and it is almost in the military class....do you have money ready for it?......it doesnt seem like you know what you are looking at buddy???

Maybe the State of Qatar will lend it to you... no harm in asking, eh? :lmao:

you said in your message you want a balance between cost/quality or cost/speed......but this lense is out of these catogories.......and it is almost in the military class....do you have money ready for it?......it doesnt seem like you know what you are looking at buddy???

I think it was tongue-in-cheek humor.:mrgreen:

I swore that weight was a typo at first lol. My god, I would be afraid to take it out of the box, much less actually attach it to something and use it.

should that not be on a guys shoulder at a motorcycle race?

I was thinking of using it for wildlife photography, nothing exotic, but there are a lot of really cute squirrels that frolic in my backyard. It's hard to get good closeups, but I think this lens might be the answer to that problem, don't you? :)

I wonder what the minimum focusing distance is, maybe 100 yards? That might preclude using it as a macro lens. :)

Your yard must be a bit on the large side..... ; -)

I bet ya hate all that mowing and raking....

I was thinking of using it for wildlife photography, nothing exotic, but there are a lot of really cute squirrels that frolic in my backyard. It's hard to get good closeups, but I think this lens might be the answer to that problem, don't you? :)

I wonder what the minimum focusing distance is, maybe 100 yards? That might preclude using it as a macro lens. :)

are you talking minimum or maximum here?.......with that size of a backyard....are you sure you see squirrels???......maybe they are dinosaurs that are just too far away and they look like squirrels......anyways....i hope you'll get a hold of the lense and CAN make use of it in any practical way.....have fun

btw...this len is too exotic to do anything non-exotic......the len itself is already an "EXOTIC" symbol...lol

Wow is just about all i can say. That thing is a beast! :drool:

Oh yeah, I hope you are a body builder, because you might have a tough time picking it up...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back