Should I change my lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by britonk, Nov 22, 2009.

1. britonk

britonk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, long time since I posted on here. Hope someone can offer some advice.

I have two lenses for my Nikon D80. A Sigma 17-70mm (f2.8-4.5) and a Tamron 70-300mm f4 - 5.6.

For a while now I have noticed that photos taken with the Sigma don't seem to have as much colour as those with the Tamron.

Do you think this is in my head or a artifact of the lens, or perhaps something wrong with it?

I've been thinking of replacing the Sigma with a Nikon 18-105mm AF-S DX Nikkor f3.5-5.6 G ED VR. Do you think this would be a sensible move?

Any comments appreciated.

2. Cojaro

Cojaro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check Nikon 18-105mm VR out. He's saying it can be pretty soft, which is to be expected of a lens with such a large zoom range (105/18 = 5.83x).

Is price an issue here at all?

Is the lack of color an issue that post-processing can't fix?

3. britonk

britonk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi, Price is a bit of an issue. I want to be hitting around the £200 mark. The reason I picked that lens is it seems to be one of the most reasonably priced Nikon zoom lenses and it has VR.

Having read the review I see it's a plastic mount. Would like to avoid those actually as I broke one before, Is there a lens you would suggest to replace the sigma?

4. Cojaro

Cojaro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm no expert when it comes to these sorts of things, but from the reviews that I've read, you can't go wrong with Nikon's 18-55mm VR. Yeah, you'd lose 15mm of your useable zoom range, but with the D80's 10.2MP sensor, it's nothing to fret over. There's also Nikon's 16-85mm VR lens, but it's a bit expensive (US$609 @ B&H)

As far as 3rd party lenses go, I'm not totally sure. They seem somewhat hit-and-miss as far as quality goes.

5. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In the $400-ish range, the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC HSM or the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II might be reasonable choices.