Should i consider getting the Fujifilm 56mm f1.2 R?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by d_animality, May 9, 2017.

1. d_animality

d_animality TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys i own the X-T2, im very new in this photography and as for portraits i have the Rokinon 135mm, Its a very wonderful lens but the focal length is quite far..i need to stand myself away from the subject to take good picture... other than that im also ordering the Fujinon 23mm f2 which will be coming to me soon (thinking maybe its enough for the focal length so i dont need to get the 56mm)... so im wondering do i still need the 56mm for my camera? i love to take portraits, family photo, street, landscape and astro photography... so i have rokinon 12mm for my wide lens :) so hoping to get your recommendations soon :D

2. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Most Fujifilm X lenses are pretty good.

Personally I would prefer a Nikon G to Fujifilm X adapter plus Voigtländer "Nokton" 58mm f1.4 SL II "S" (or the predecessor "N" or the predecessor of that, all three versions are optically identical) over the 56/1.2. It cheaper - even more so if buying used - and optically superior.

Even inside the system, the 60/2.4 macro lens is as good if not better optically and available very cheap as a used lens. And its a 1:2 macro lens on top of that.

Of course theres also the upcoming XF 80mm f2.8 WR OIS macro which is 1:1. Its only on the official map so far, though, not announced yet.

3. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't talk specifically for that lens (though I know it gets good press), but 56mm should be a very good portrait length on a crop camera due where it positions you in relation to subject. 23mm on the other hand is not really considered a good length for portrait

4. d_animality

d_animality TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok yes i have read about this macro lens, but i want a portrait lens instead of a macro lens.. are they can be used for the same purpose?

5. d_animality

d_animality TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok im getting:

1) the 23mm for my prime lens as i read good reviews about it better for a group photo, street photography and landscape than the 35mm

2) the 56mm for my portrait lens

so atleast i have 23mm, 56mm and 135mm... thus i dont need to buy the 90mm since i already have the 135mm... i think i have almost everything for my everyday use right

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I would rather have the Fuji 56mm than ANY NON-native adapted manual or autofocusing lens!!!! "Optically superior" means one thing if the lens is focused dead-on; ot the focus is off by 4 inches, the optically superior lens becomes rubbish, but the dead-on autofocusing lens becomes the shining example.

I have heard good things about the 56mm, and it yes,it is expensive, but it's also a lifetime grade lens. Good lenbses in NATIVE, autofocvusing mounts are worth a ton. Adding adapters to make things function is one thing...havking a lens that bayonets on perfectly,precisely, etc.. worth ther added expense to get the EXIF info, the right back-focus distance, etc..

7. d_animality

d_animality TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you very much that is why im getting this 56mm lens... The press, feedbacks and the compliments about is too much.. Its considered old lens but the hype still maintains until today.. Even the latest 50mm is no match.. :D

8. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    @Gary A. and @jcdeboever are Fuji fanatics .. they should have good input. But I would think too that Fuji lens will be superior to another lens plus adapter.

9. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I don't have the 56mm, largely because it focuses a bit slowly because of the very large and very heavy 1.2 front element. I think as a portrait lens the slow-ish focus would not be noticed. But everything I've seen from it is world class. I have used the 60mm as a portrait lens for the few portraits I've shot.

[​IMG]
    Fujinon 60mm

Lately, I have been giving the 56mm a renewed interest.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I thing the 60mm macro is the best bang for the buck. Outstanding image quality.

If I were really into portraits, I would buy the 50-140 f/2.8. It has excellent image stabilization and super fast focus acquisition. I borrowed the lens and frankly, didn't want to give it back. Looking at the portraits from this lens are unique and outstanding. On top of that, down the road, your could add a 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter to it to expand it's usefulness.

I think the 56mm is a useful lens in low light, so it does have its place.

• Like Like x 1
  11. d_animality

d_animality TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh wow that is so wonderful portrait.. i need to learn how to take that kind of shot soon! and thank you very much for your feedback... i didnt expect 60mm to do portraits so that is why it wasnt in my bucket list.. but ur photo is stunning and i already ordered the 56mm, it is on its way i really hope i dint make huge mistake investing on it..

Yes i have seen that lens and it is way too big for my travel companion and too expensive for me... and yea ive seen the images sample from it but the price made me think a lot..lol!

12. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I am absolutely convinced that you will not be disappointed. Enjoy and don't worry.

• Like Like x 1