Should i consider getting the Fujifilm 56mm f1.2 R?

I got the lens and omg im so in love with it! its like everything that came out of it is perfect!! thank you very much for your suggestions and tips!! this is a very wonderful lens and its my fav for now :D

Thank you!!.. anyway im looking forward to get ND filters for some of my lenses... since i want to take that "foggy" look of waterfall but the day is so bright that using slower shutter and minimum aperture are not helping!

i dont know if i need to use this thread or create a new one but here are my questions:

1) is there any affordable ND filter that "one size fits all" my lenses? or if they aren't
2) which lenses is more suitable to get the ND filter? max is 2 and here are my lenses
a) Rokinon 12mm f.2 << im considering to get the ND for this as this is the wide lens i always use for landscape
b) Fujinon 56mm f1.2 << as u all know my fav now for portrait! i might need ND during bright daylight
c) Fujinon 23mm f2.0 << im pretty sure im gonna use this more lens than anything else ... its coming to me soon so yea..
d) Fujinon 18-55 << well i rarely use this lens as my other primes are more powerful so no ND for this
e) Rokinon 135mm f2 << well this is my 2nd fav portrait after 56mm but i dont think i need ND for this...

So to summarise.. its either the 12mm, 23mm or the 56mm << amongst these lenses which will benefit more the ND filter if i plan to take picture of someone standing near the "foggy look" waterfall during bright sunny day and also when i plan to take picture of nature with blue skies.. im confused to get it for the 12 or 23 (for landscape) or between 23 or 56 (for portrait)

from this option it sounds clear that i should buy it for the 23mm since i can use it for landsape and even portrait but i still welcome your suggestions... ugh i talk too much sorry and thank u in advance :D

Thank you!!.. anyway im looking forward to get ND filters for some of my lenses... since i want to take that "foggy" look of waterfall but the day is so bright that using slower shutter and minimum aperture are not helping!

i dont know if i need to use this thread or create a new one but here are my questions:

1) is there any affordable ND filter that "one size fits all" my lenses? or if they aren't
2) which lenses is more suitable to get the ND filter? max is 2 and here are my lenses
a) Rokinon 12mm f.2 << im considering to get the ND for this as this is the wide lens i always use for landscape
b) Fujinon 56mm f1.2 << as u all know my fav now for portrait! i might need ND during bright daylight
c) Fujinon 23mm f2.0 << im pretty sure im gonna use this more lens than anything else ... its coming to me soon so yea..
d) Fujinon 18-55 << well i rarely use this lens as my other primes are more powerful so no ND for this
e) Rokinon 135mm f2 << well this is my 2nd fav portrait after 56mm but i dont think i need ND for this...

So to summarise.. its either the 12mm, 23mm or the 56mm << amongst these lenses which will benefit more the ND filter if i plan to take picture of someone standing near the "foggy look" waterfall during bright sunny day and also when i plan to take picture of nature with blue skies.. im confused to get it for the 12 or 23 (for landscape) or between 23 or 56 (for portrait)

from this option it sounds clear that i should buy it for the 23mm since i can use it for landsape and even portrait but i still welcome your suggestions... ugh i talk too much sorry and thank u in advance :D

I'd start a new thread in the beginners forum to get more of a response. That 18-55 is a fine lens. Great in low light where you need OIS. I use it on the street as well. Sharp and contrasty.

To answer #1- No.

Typically, for expensive filters, the photog purchases a filter which covers the largest lens diameter, which in this case is most likely is the 56mm or the 12mm, then use 'Step Up' rings in order to adapt the smaller lens diameters to the larger diameter of the filter.

Another and more expensive method is to use a filter system (kit). The filter system consists of a filter holder which is adaptable and fits over most/all/many of your lenses. The filters are square and come in a few different sizes. The larger the lens the larger the filter. A typical size filter holder is 4"x4".

Lee is considered one of the better systems. If you're interested in going this route, let me know and I'll share some cost saving tips and some things to be aware.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

Last edited:
I would look into the 4 x 4 inch filters "systems", like those made and sold by Lee Filters, or other brands. This type of slide-in filter that goes into a slotted filter holder which itself has been slipped onto the front side of a screw-in lens mounting ring is the way to go for landscape filter uses, like for graduated neutral density filters,etc..

I am using it with XT1, it is a wonderful lense, albeit not the most forgiving. It is very sharp and I would say, even analytical in its rendition. If you are familiar with the popular 35 1.4 lense (which I call "romantic" because of its colour palette and how it treats sharpness), compared to that the 56 1.2 is kind of a reality check for an aspiring photographer. But if you nail the shot, it is simply stunning.

Most reactions

Back