Should I continue or stop?

A4Effort

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I have involved myself with photography since September now and I do not know if I like it or not. I love taking pictures once in a while but no where near enough as some people here. Seeing the result is what I love but the actual going out and taking pictures I do not like as much.

Do you guys/gals have any advice on how to deal with this?

Also, just on the side, if I do decided to stop this hobby, I have the following for sale: Canon 30D, 24-105 Canon L, Canon 50 1.8, 430ex II (all are in mint condition) I AM NOT SELLING JUST. I AM JUST LETTING PEOPLE KNOW THAT IF I DO STOP THIS HOBBY THE FOLLOWING WILL BE FOR SALE. Please do not PM me asking about my equipment.

pfft many people find this part of the year a tough time to shoot for relaxation - its cold out, the light is draber than in summer, its muddy everywhere and there is a good chance of ice all over the place.

Give it a good year before you decide to switch and keep at it in the mean time - you have a great camera and great glass in that 24-105mm L and a flash -a good setup which can deliver great results. You don't mention your results with your gear, but chances are that (and I am guessing here a bit0 you might not be getting as good as many others that you see. This is totally normal and there is nothing wrong with you - photography (dispite popular belief) is not simply pressing a button and it does take some time really start to understand it.

Just keep at it, it is a tough tim, but when the beautiful seasons role around, you will love your kit, and photography.

So, you have about what $1800 worth of equipment? Did you just drop that kind of money w/o any previous interest and think that you'd just like it? 2 months isn't much time to make an opinion, but it sounds as though you've already reached an opinion that this isn't for you.

If you think that 3 months is long enough to see if you enjoy the hobby and are convinced you will never like to take the pictures and only see the results, then I'll look forward to seeing your stuff for sale.

Seriously though, if you are looking for a cheerleading section to build you up and keep you going, well, I don't think thats the right approach. Take the time to think about what got you into the hobby. As someone said, the winter months are slower and harder to go through.

Make an honest decision. No one here known who you really are, what type of person you are. Only you do

Reading this has me depressed. Now I don't know if I want to continue.

I have a Canon 40D I'll probably be selling soon. Don't contact me though, it's not for sale just yet. But I have a nice bag too... and I may let my kid go with the camera. I bought it primarily to take pictures of him. If I get out of photography, I might as well sell him too.

I'll let you know if I decided to sell the camera and the kid.

:mrgreen:

This isn't judo or college or any other activity that can ramp itself up once you get into it. Three months is a pretty good chunk of time. What matters here is how much of these last three months have you spent working? Have you taken a good body of pictures in varied locales to say "well I just don't have anything I would like to photograph."

How much does the kid cost? I need someone to lug all my heavy,useless photo gear around to used camera stores so I can sell it.
Damn you ANDS!, you beat me to the post!

Well, I think I was wrong when I said that I did not enjoy the actually picture taking. Certain shoots I do not like others I do. Everyone is correct about not being able to decide after only 3 months. I am also not looking for encouragement or anything along those lines. All, I am looking for is some advice on how to go about this.

Thank you for all the responses.

Well, since he hasn't gotten back to me about the kid sale, try and mix it up, get a macro lens, try B&W, shoot one day like film i.e. don't review the shots, try flash effects, buy a book, and try and imitate photos in it. The possibilities for what you can learn in photography are endless, just try and explore. And also, I will give you $6.00 for the kid, Tharmsen.

This isn't judo or college or any other activity that can ramp itself up once you get into it. Three months is a pretty good chunk of time. What matters here is how much of these last three months have you spent working? Have you taken a good body of pictures in varied locales to say "well I just don't have anything I would like to photograph."

I have spent plenty of time taking all sorts of pictures. I have taken landscape pictures, portraits, macro, photo journalist, sports, and many other sort.

Thank you once again everyone. This is helping me make the right decision.

I agree - just try something new with the kit :)

maybe look to some cheap addons (comparativly speaking) a set of extension tubes would let you play around with closeup photography and macro stuff with your current lenses (get the Kenko ones - officical canon ones are overpriced for what you get and they only add air to the assembly, no glass - it image quality is equal no matter who's you use)

Yeah, divergence and exploration are key to keeping your skills fresh, and photography fun.

its fine not to like all types of photography.

Some love portraits, hate macro, like landscape, hate sports... whatever floats your boat.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back