Should I delete my old calibration software/profile?

LeaNC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
- I apologize if I am posting this question in the wrong place, I could not find a color management specific section on this forum. -

While taking a Color management course at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh a few years back, I had downloaded the software Eye-One Match and rented a high-end calibration device from the school to calibrate my laptop screen.
Now that I'm out of school I no longer have access to that calibration device, and unfortunately I do not have enough money saved to purchase my own yet.
However I was able to purchase a very nice monitor recently, so I'm no longer comprising my photos by editing with a laptop screen, but I still have the Eye-One Match software, and my old color profile setup on my laptop.
My question is - Would it be in my best interest to remove this software, and the color profile it created completely? Is it hurting how my new monitor is displaying since the profile was originally set up for my Asus laptop screen, and not for this external Asus monitor?
Or would I be better off keeping this profile installed, and just adjust the monitor manually by eye until I am able to purchase the spyder 5?
I currently have the monitor set to standard, and did minor tweaking using Lagom's LCD test pages, but colors appear to be more washed out than they should be. I'm curious if my old color profile could be affecting this.

I would tell the computer to use its native profile rather than the one you created. I do not use Windows so I cannot tell you exactly how to do that but you need to go into Control Settings if I remember correctly.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

- I apologize if I am posting this question in the wrong place, I could not find a color management specific section on this forum. -

While taking a Color management course at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh a few years back, I had downloaded the software Eye-One Match and rented a high-end calibration device from the school to calibrate my laptop screen.
Now that I'm out of school I no longer have access to that calibration device, and unfortunately I do not have enough money saved to purchase my own yet.
However I was able to purchase a very nice monitor recently, so I'm no longer comprising my photos by editing with a laptop screen, but I still have the Eye-One Match software, and my old color profile setup on my laptop.
My question is - Would it be in my best interest to remove this software, and the color profile it created completely? Is it hurting how my new monitor is displaying since the profile was originally set up for my Asus laptop screen, and not for this external Asus monitor?
Or would I be better off keeping this profile installed, and just adjust the monitor manually by eye until I am able to purchase the spyder 5?
I currently have the monitor set to standard, and did minor tweaking using Lagom's LCD test pages, but colors appear to be more washed out than they should be. I'm curious if my old color profile could be affecting this.

Yes you need to remove your old display profile. You can delete it manually by finding it here:
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color
In Control Panels you'll want to find Color Management and set the default for the new display. Here's the official MS instructions: Color management settings: frequently asked questions

Hint: you can use the Color Management control panel to find the name of your existing profile so you'll know what to delete.

ASAP! Get your new display calibrated and profiled! Top of your Xmas list: X-Rite ColorMunki Smile Color Calibration Solution CMUNSML B&H

Joe

Display calibration is not a one time thing.
If the ambient light falling on the display changes and as a display ages the display needs to be re-calibrated
To remain color accurate a display has to be routinely re-calibrated.
Professional image editors generally re-calibrate at least monthly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back