Should I do this?

303villain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so i have come across a canon 10d for sale, coming with the vert grip, and a 512 cf, and the battery/charger/software for 650, and it is in superb shape. The reason why i consider getting this and selling off my e-500 for lenses is because of what i have read about the 10d's performance. Noise being the first and foremost. I do alot of night time/low light shooting and the e-500 noise is KILLING ME. right now i have enough money to buy this kit from the guy, and i will try and sell my olympus kit(e-500+ 4 lenses) to buy one nice canon lens. what do you chaps think??

What ISO do you need to be shooting at and how large do you want to print?

10D is relatively bad in terms of ISO performance in the canon lineup. The sensor doesn't have the microlenses. 20D and the XT on the other hand are much better performers.

However I beleive it's still going to be years ahead of olympus.

really, you prefer the xt over the 10d? well i start noticing the noise on the olympus anywhere above 400, which sucks. from what ive seen on the sample pics on dpreview.com the noise doesnt start becoming an issue til around 1600, and even then, its more like grain, and not the crazy colorful specs i have all over the place. at least thats what i gather from the samples. the high iso stuff usually wont be printed any larger than 8x10 or MAYBE 16x20. daylight and good lighted stuff i have had prints made up to 20x30..

As the Doc says, why the 10D? The 20D is coming right down in price because of the 30D's launch, so it's a bargain right now. The 350D is obviously the value purchase - pretty much the same sensor, but a smaller lighter body.

Why are you shooting medium/high ISO at night? Surely if it's night/dark you've got the camera on a tripod, so set the WB and the ISO manually to the appropriate settings.

Rob

303villain said:
really, you prefer the xt over the 10d?
Senros wise.

AFAIK the XT/20D generation of sensors is the one that got the microlenses so XT would give you better image quality.

Also bigger buffer or maybe faster writing speed on XT? I don't remember the specs.

10D has larger viewfinder and metal body - and those a very important things for me.

But any canon DSLR will have a larger viewfinder than the oly.

well i wasnt really looking to upgrade, but like i said, i came across that 10d at that price(which just so happens to be how much spare cash i have, which is obviously not enough for even a used 20d. I am not really a fan of the xt, it doesnt feel as comfortable to me for some reason. The buffer and all that arent huge issues to me, im rarely in any situation where i am shooting that fast. The rugged body and the bigger viewfinder are huge for me, i have to squint sometimes in my olympus.

as far as the iso/tripod thing rob mentioned-i do alot of stuff for local bands where a flash and tripod arent allowed. When doing things with a tripod its not nearly as much of an issue.

303villain said:
well i wasnt really looking to upgrade, but like i said, i came across that 10d at that price(which just so happens to be how much spare cash i have, which is obviously not enough for even a used 20d. I am not really a fan of the xt, it doesnt feel as comfortable to me for some reason. The buffer and all that arent huge issues to me, im rarely in any situation where i am shooting that fast. The rugged body and the bigger viewfinder are huge for me, i have to squint sometimes in my olympus.

as far as the iso/tripod thing rob mentioned-i do alot of stuff for local bands where a flash and tripod arent allowed. When doing things with a tripod its not nearly as much of an issue.

Ah-ha, that makes a lot more sense. It's your decision then!! I guess the viewfinder would make a big difference if you're mainly shooting low light. Also, the wider aperture primes available with the Canon series are probably a good thing for this work.

Rob

ya thats what i was thinking, plus there is a far wider selection of canon lenses available than there are for olympus. my only question is this now--do you guys think that this camera will be sufficient for the next 2 years of photography school? will it perform up to par? my other option is to for now buy the body from the guy, and just 1 sigma lens that way i have one and continue to use the olympus as well for school. the curriculum is mostly studio work with people, products and things like that? when i graduate my parents are going to help pay for a pro level fullframe canon(whatever is out at that time). thanks for your help guys!

303villain said:
ya thats what i was thinking, plus there is a far wider selection of canon lenses available than there are for olympus. my only question is this now--do you guys think that this camera will be sufficient for the next 2 years of photography school? will it perform up to par? my other option is to for now buy the body from the guy, and just 1 sigma lens that way i have one and continue to use the olympus as well for school. the curriculum is mostly studio work with people, products and things like that? when i graduate my parents are going to help pay for a pro level fullframe canon(whatever is out at that time). thanks for your help guys!

The camera will be good enough, but most photography courses make you use film don't they?? At least with Canon it's a breeze to get a cheapo film body to use with the same lenses. As far as quality goes, I can't see there being any issue - it ain't the camera that makes the shot after all!

Rob

no my classes are all large format and digital. However, after going to a local camera store, i played around with an XT with the vertical battery grip attached and it felt alot more comfortable, and with the price on it being so cheap(700 for the body @ BH) im going to spend a little more than i wanted and get an XT and the 35mm f2.8(169). then next paycheck i will add the battery grip. ill still keep my olympus as well. thanks alot guys!

303villain said:
35mm f2.8(169). then next paycheck i will add the battery grip. ill still keep my olympus as well. thanks alot guys!
35/2

There isn't a 2.8 in the canon lineup

Good for you. Olympus isn't a professional system.

ah i mean the 28/2.8, i was bouncing back and forth from that to the 35/2 and decided on the 28 as its a bit cheaper and a bit wider. dont get me wrong i love the results my olympus has given me in good lighting, but the low light quality and lack of expandability(is that even a word? haha) and ungodly lens costs killed me. its sad to spend $5000 on a lens for an olympus when you can get a comparable/better canon one for 1k-2k.

303villain said:
its sad to spend $5000 on a lens for an olympus when you can get a comparable/better canon one for 1k-2k.
Makes you wonder why you bought the camera in the first place, doesn't it? :wink:

i got a wicked deal on it. Olympus is a partner with best buy so i get good prices through our employee accomodations. bah! oh well.

Most reactions

Back